• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got my first speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Darkz999

What is the name of your state? NJ

Here's the story:
Last night, my friend said we should go to a beach in another city I never been to. I was like ok, and I drove my car following my friend's car. We turned into a street that I never been to, after a while, 2 police cars pulled us over. The cop gave me a ticket for going 50 on a 30 zone (I didn't even know that zone is 30, the street was very dark and I was too concentrated on following my friend), while the other cop gave my friend (who was ahead of me) a ticket for going 49 on a 30 zone.

What pisses me off the most is that after the cop gave me the ticket, he went over to my friend's car and said, "Your friend gave me an attitude, so I gave him a full ticket"
I barely said anything to him, here's our conversation:

Cop walked to my car and quickly said "License and insurance card please"
While I was getting them, I thought that he might have thought I was tailgating the car in front of me, so I asked "What did I do?"
The cop remained silent until I handed him both license and insurance. He said "You were going 50 on a 30 zone" I said "I was trying to follow the car in front of me, he's my friend" He said "That is not an excuse" and he went back to his car. He came back outside and gave me the ticket.

So.... how did I give him an attitude? I was using my normal tone (with a little nervousness). I couldn't believe it when my friend told me what the cop said. The cop probably didn't like me because I am asian and made up that ****ty excuse.

What am I supposed to do now? I am going to plea not guilty in court. Do I need to call the phone number or something?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">