• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Discontinued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kimhigh

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was divorced in 1993 and my divorce papers state child support is to continue until our daughter reaches the age of 18. She turned 18 in May of this year but she still has another year of high school to go. Her father decided to stop all child support payments. Do I have a legal case? Can I take my ex back to court and have the support extended.
Our child is also disabled she has cerebral palsy.

BL

Are you/your daughter receiving Disability benefits ?

If so and the order said 18 ( and not / or / until graduation ), then it's most likely 18 .

K

kimhigh

We are not currently receiving disability benefits. We do however have an appointment on Monday with SS. Hopefully she will be approved if not, do I have a case to get child support extended until h.s. graduation?

nextwife

If the CS order always has had specific language ending CS at 18, why was this not addressed BEFORE she aged out of the CS order?

BelizeBreeze

The answer to the only question you asked is No, you may not revisit this issue and have the support extended.

Support orders entered after 7/1/92 may provide for the extension of child support to age 20, if the child is still in high school. If not addressed in the original order then support ceases at Age 18.

K

kimhigh

If the CS order always has had specific language ending CS at 18, why was this not addressed BEFORE she aged out of the CS order?

Because it never occurred to me that her father would discontinue her support before she graduated high school.

VeronicaGia

kimhigh said:

Because it never occurred to me that her father would discontinue her support before she graduated high school.
Why wouldn't it occur to you? The court order specifically states that support will stop when she reaches 18 years of age. There is nothing ambiguous about it. He has every right, per the court order, to stop paying support.

K

kimhigh

Call me naive. I just assumed that her father would continue to support her until she graduated high school. It seemed like the right thing to do given her disability and the fact that she is unable to contribute to her own support.

BL

Once disability approved, she/ you depending on the age , will receive a lump sum check back to the filing date, then monthly checks thereafter .

K

kimhigh

Is anyone familiar with the "Student Earned Income Exclusion" under SSI.
Would my 18 year old daughter qualify?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">