• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hospital Acquired Endocarditis

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TaraL3

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York
My father in law entered the hospital because he fell at home. While being evaluated at the hospital, he contracted pnuemonia and a staph infection of the heart called endocarditis. He had 2 valves replaced a few years ago, and the staph attacked his artificial valves. Since he had no open wounds at ALL, but was treated with a catheter, we strongly believe this was how he acquired the endocarditis. The hospital put him on 6 weeks of IV antibiotics but was told it would be a tough fight. He is now at home after 3 weeks of IV and is getting the remaning treatments at home. He is bed ridden and is not expected to survive. We are heartbroken that this staph infection will kill him. What recourse against the hospital do we have? What do we need to do? Thank you in advance for any advice.

ellencee

TaraL3
Before I attempt to answer any part of your post, I need for you to tell me your father's age, his usual health status, his usual level of independent self-care, his usual level of activities other than self-care--all prior to this hospitalization. I also need for you to tell me about the fall and all of the treatment he received at the hospital before he developed symptoms of pneumonia, how long he was in the hospital and the type of unit he was in (ER, med floor, ICU, etc.). Then, I need for you to tell me how long after the catheter (I am assuming you mean urinary catheter) before he developed symptoms of pneumonia or other symptoms related to the staph infection. I need to know if he was given any antibiotics and if so, the name, the route (by mouth, IV), and dosage (mg and number of days). If you are unsure of the actual facts, give me your best impression of events. Thanks.

I will forewarn you that in most incidences, staph organisms are part of the patient's normal flora and usually become an infection when introduced into a body system or organ through perfectly performed procedures. Almost 100% of all patients who receive a urinary catheter will develop the presence of bacteria in the urine within 30 days from the time of the catheterization, regardless of whether the catheter was an in-and-out procedure or remained for a longer period of time, and during that 30-day period, 3% will suffer signficant sequalae that require additional hospitalization. The %s are increased in the elderly as are the resulting illness such as septicemia, bacterial endocarditis, and pneumonia. These resulting illnesses develop from the urinary tract infection brought about through catheterization.

(I've clarified a sentence in the last paragraph to properly relate post-catheterization bacteriuria (bacteria in the urine) and bacteremia (presence of bacteria in the circulating blood).

EC

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">