• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this illegal ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shiftgreen

Hi I am from north carolina.
My fiance was working as a secretary at our local church. She had a 2 year contract and only started working there for a few months. She was always puntual and organized and did a well job. After she had the job a few months past and they said in order for her to keep her job I (her fiance) had to become a member. I didnt want to b/c we were not going to stay there, but now she was laid off , before the actual layoff date which was july 8th. Is this right? can they fire her becuase I didnt become a member? I know churches my have there own rules but this just seems kind of wrong and I wasnt sure if this was something any buisness couldnt do no matter what type of buisness.
Her mom by the way said it was illegal, and she was going to talk to a lawyer, and if it is illegal what could the outcome be if we wanted to take it a step further.
any help will be much appreciated.
thanks,
chris

BelizeBreeze

Without knowing exactly what the contract said as to becomming a member, the conditions of employment or many other issues the best we can tell you is to have your fiance take the contract to a local employment attorney for review.

O

okamsrazor

I am not sure how the contract can state that anyone she dates would have to become a member of the church. It would make sense if the contract stated SHE had to be a member to work there, but they can not apply her condition of employment to the actions of 3rd parties not in the contract. If the contract stated "you or anyone you know, date, talk to on the street, or have heard of MUST become a member of this organization for you to be employed here" before she signed it, then it would be legal as she had the option to say "No".

Also, did they STATE that as the reason for firing her?

Last edited:
S

shiftgreen

that was the reason, they said if I didnt become a member by june 1st she has to find another job.. We arent even married yet.
Its crazy but its probably better that way, since that church was very weird to begin with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">