• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car running, is it "parked"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

espedia

What is the name of your state? California

I stopped in a red zone last night. Left my car running, lights and emergency flashers on, got out and dropped off something to a friend.

When I turned around a meter-maid was giving me a ticket for "parking" in a bus zone.

So the question is, was I legally "parked"(or "illegally" rather=)

Also, my ticket says my car is "grey" and it is black.

thanks-

CdwJava

You were illegally parked.

CVC 463. "Park or parking" shall mean the standing of a vehicle,
whether occupied or not, otherwise than temporarily for the purpose
of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading merchandise or
passengers.

The vehicle was left standing in the road. Even if you had been IN your car, you could have been cited. Additionally, there is another section you could have been cited for that has to do with leaving your keys in the ignition and the car running while you wander away from it:

CVC 22515. (a) No person driving, or in control of, or in charge of, a
motor vehicle shall permit it to stand on any highway unattended
without first effectively setting the brakes thereon and stopping the
motor
thereof.

And the color of your vehicle on the parking cite is irrelevant. Unless the license plate and all the other info is wrong, too, then that's a non-starter.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">