• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Special Assessment Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CondoHelp

I live in Virginia and was hoping that anyone could give me advice on my situation.

I recently purchased a condo and three weeks after closing I got a notice in my mailbox that two weeks prior to my closing date, the condo association had approved a $450,000 special assessment (my share comes to $2500). Here's my question - since the association approved the assessment while I was NOT the owner, is it the previous owner's responsibility to pay this?

Additional facts - neither the owner, title company, nor the management company for the condo disclosed anything about any special assessment, so the notice was the first time I was informed of it

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

CondoHelp said:
I live in Virginia and was hoping that anyone could give me advice on my situation.

I recently purchased a condo and three weeks after closing I got a notice in my mailbox that two weeks prior to my closing date, the condo association had approved a $450,000 special assessment (my share comes to $2500). Here's my question - since the association approved the assessment while I was NOT the owner, is it the previous owner's responsibility to pay this?

**A: read your contract. There should be a clause something similar to 18. Assessments if any to be paid by__________Buyer/Seller.........

Additional facts - neither the owner, title company, nor the management company for the condo disclosed anything about any special assessment, so the notice was the first time I was informed of it

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
**A: again read your contract. Wasn't there a clause for receipt and approval of all condo docs etc.................? Where is your Realtor?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">