• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out of state???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Broken

What is the name of your state?IL

Can anyone tell me what the laws are regarding the custodial parent being able to move out of state with the children? If my ex wanted to move out of northern Illinois to southern Wisconsin, would that generally be allowed since it's only about 20-miles? Or does she need my permission since it technically is out of state? Thank you for the help.

G

Gonwin

Hmm...

What do your divorce papes say regarding moving the children???

Anyway, is 20 miles too far for you to drive??? It's not like she's moving the kids to Texas. Sheesh...

Broken

Our divorce papers don't say anything regarding this matter, that's why I was asking. For the record, I'm not complaining about it. Just wondering. No, 20-miles isn't too far for me to drive... as I plan on moving as well. I'm not sure if it'll be closer to her or farther away... either way, I'd drive across the country if I had to.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's unlikely a court would refuse to permit a 20 mile move, although IL would retain jurisdiction. As long as you live in IL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">