• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflicting information from police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bananas22

What is the name of your state? PA

I'm in a terrible situation.

Last night I was in a car with an individual who stole cigar blunts from a store. The lady had followed him out and we had all thought he gave everything back. As we drove away, we found that he did not.

The police pulled us over and searched us. Me and my friend (we were the only two girls in the car of 5) were searched and they found nothing on us. They did not cuff us or fingerprint us or anything. We had nothing to do with the stealing, we were just passangers in the car. But they did take us to the station.

But in the car a bong and a pipe were found. The items were not ours and I believe are attributed to the driver even though they may not be his. They also busted the dealer from one of the kids in the car with me's cell phone that he was going to purchase the marijuana from.

The driver, the individual who stole and his friend were all cuffed. The friend and the kid who stole were finger printed and had mug shots taken. They were taken to a different police station than us girls were.

The police took basic address and phone number information from me and my friend. They called our guardians to get us. When we were waiting to be released one officer told us that we were recieving citations in the mail for disorderly conduct. He said the fine would probably be $100 or so dollars or that we could chose community service instead.

When our guardians came, a different police officer informed us that that we were going to go to court and then receive the citations.

The kid who stole, who was taken to a different station, swears up and down that we will not have to go to court as long as we pay our fines and do community service.

The kid who was with him at the different police station informed me that we will all definitly be going to court.

I have conflicting information from everyone, even the police.
I am dreading going to court. I will pay a fine, I just do not wish to go to court.
I had nothing to do with the stealing and I did not personally know or call the dealer that got busted. The items found in the car were also not mine.

My questions are, how much do you think the fine will be considering the circumstances? Do you think I will even have to go to court at all?
And if I do, what will the procedures be? Will we be asked things or does the judge just sentence us and then we're out?

Any advice will help immensly. Please. Thank you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I certainly wouldn't be taking legal advice from a thief and a drug dealer. Your best bet is to ask your folks to help you find a local lawyer - that's the BEST person to get legal advice from. I would actually expect to have to appear in court.

And, uuuhhh.... find some new friends.

B

bananas22

Yeah I've given up my summer to pay for whatever fine i'm going to receive.
But you honestly think a lawyer is necessary for a disorderly conduct citation?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Maybe not. But if you were my kid (apart from grounding you until you're about 45 :p ), I'd at least consult with an attorney to see where it all stands and what the long-term ramifications of your actions might be.

Bravo8

For a DC citation, you will not HAVE to go to court unless the Judge sets a hearing automatically. If the Judge just sets a fine, then you can plead guilty, pay the fine, and avoid court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">