• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sweet_caligirl

What is the name of your state? ca...Are probate filing fees paid at the end of probate? Or are they paid as we go along? And if you get a fee waiver what does it waive?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sweet_caligirl said:
What is the name of your state? ca...Are probate filing fees paid at the end of probate? Or are they paid as we go along?

MY RESPONSE: In general, the filing fees are paid up front, and at the time the Petition is presented to the filing clerk for filing.

And if you get a fee waiver what does it waive?

MY RESPONSE: The waiver waves only the initial filing fee and full or partial court costs concerning any interim matters. It's very rare that a Probate Petition filing fee, or other court costs of Probate, are "waived". Can you imagine the court actually waiving its fees and costs where an Estate is valued at One Million or more. Not likely going to happen. Most instances, where the Petitioner cannot afford the graduated fee, is where the fee(s) are "delayed" until the end, and the court will not sign the final orders until the total fees are paid in full.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">