• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing States - need to collect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

snickerdoodle

What is the name of your state?My Situation:

I was living in Nebraska at the time of our divorce in 1999, I have two boys now 17 and 18. I have custody of both boys, the court order states that he is to pay child suppor and medical, each month till they turn 19 (Nebraska law). Once the oldest turns 19 it will be reduce till the youngest reaches 19. He has only paid about $11,000 and still owes at least $25,000.00

I moved to Texas in 2001 and he has since moved to Kansas. Two years ago both boys move to Kansas to live with him. The youngest came back to Texas after one year and is living with me again. Their father never had the order changed it has always remained the same.

How do I go about collecting? I called Nebraska and they said I need to switch it to Texas, I called Texas they said it might have to go to Kansas. How do I collect this? Is a private collection firm the best way to go without switching and spending a lot on traveling and lawyer fees? What would be the best answer for me?

BL

Might try Petitioning in TX , Site that the has been a change in Jurisdiction, and Neither Party lives in the Original State. That your established residence is TX now.

If denied, file an objection. Let the Court decide who has Jurisdiction .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">