• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

screwed over by a friend.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kristin82

What is the name of your state? kentucky

a few months ago, i purchased two dell computers; one of which i ordered for my friend because he was constantly fighting with his roommate over his computer. he promised to pay all of the bills and never be late. recently, i tried to have the computer transferred into his name, and it was done. they would not switch the credit over to his name, so i am stuck with the bill. i told this "friend" that i needed all of the money for the computer, not the minimum payment, because i do not want to spend the rest of my life paying on his. i told him that if he doesnt do this, i will go get the computer myself and send it back. he has blocked me from his messenger lists. can i take him to small claims court and get the computer back, even though it is in his name now? the computer is still on my bill, so will that make any difference?

BL

Does Dell have the Serial Number for that PC you're paying on ?

Do you have any proof the " friend " paid any of the bills to dell ? Does Dell have copies ?

In what form did your friend pay any of the bills . IE: checks, Etc.

Since the PC is in his name ( why you did this is beyond me ) , It's his .

Maybe sense you had It switched to his name and your paying for it Dell will switch it back.

Even If you can win an award in Small claims, I wouldn't count on payment all at once .

K

kristin82

yes, there is a serial number for the computer.

my "friend" didnt pay dell the bills, he paid the money (cash) to me.

i transferred the computer over to his name in hopes that they would switch the credit to his name as well, and the computer would no longer be on my bill.

i want to go up in his apartment and take the computer and return it. his roommate told me he would even let me in the apartment to retrieve it.

BL

I'd contact Dell and see If they will switch it back to your name First .( get a confirmation ) by letter or Email . Then you could take it.

The reason being , even though your paying the Bills, It's in their name and if they wanted to be nasty, they could say it was a gift , and have you arrested for theft .

K

kristin82

i just did that. i will hear a response tomorrow. i cant believe i was so stupid that i did something like that.

BL

Good Luck .. Then If the room mate let's you in good ..

If not then It's to small claims , and who is more believable .

K

kristin82

the roommate is on my side.. in fact, he is my best friend. hes told me from day one that he will help me return the computer, even help me with the money to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">