• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a CA child sue for support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cal_sis

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Can anyone besides the ex spouse intervene on the child’s behalf to collect support? My sister was misled and coerced into signing a document reducing the court ordered child support to $200 per month (she was very young, he brought a notary to their lunch meeting and said it was just some divorce papers). That was thirteen years ago, my nephew is now fourteen and I guess she’s too embarrassed or ineffectual to go after him, even though he stopped paying the $200 months ago. In any case, if my sister won’t get my nephew’s money, can his grandmother (who’s been supporting him all this time) or my nephew do anything about this jerk, who by the way, is happily remarried to a teacher with whom he’s had another son?

nextwife

I'm presuming this $200/month was established with the court?

If so, she had the right to file for a modification YEARS ago and did not. He only owes for the period since he stopped paying. One cannot mofify retroactively, but she could possible modify going forward, if his income warrants it. And if neither mom or dad have the child, whomever has custody should go after BOTH parents, he AND she, for support.

Last edited:

VeronicaGia

cal_sis said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Can anyone besides the ex spouse intervene on the child’s behalf to collect support? My sister was misled and coerced into signing a document reducing the court ordered child support to $200 per month (she was very young, he brought a notary to their lunch meeting and said it was just some divorce papers). That was thirteen years ago, my nephew is now fourteen and I guess she’s too embarrassed or ineffectual to go after him, even though he stopped paying the $200 months ago. In any case, if my sister won’t get my nephew’s money, can his grandmother (who’s been supporting him all this time) or my nephew do anything about this jerk, who by the way, is happily remarried to a teacher with whom he’s had another son?
He's been paying the support all this time, yet you say the grandmother has been supporting the child? So your sister is a jerk too since she, according to your own post, isn't supporting the child either.

If there is a court order for $200 a month in child support and he's not paying, your sister needs to go to court. If there is no court order, he doesn't owe her anything.

C

cal_sis

Just what I needed to know; thank you both for the very helpful advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">