• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sueing For Back Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

10Spot

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY
I'm 24 and I live in NY. By searching the internet, I think I've located my father.
My parents were never married. Can my mother sue him for back child support? She lives in PA? Is there a statute of limitations on back child support?

C

cibyr

Well I have this question, did your father know about your mother's pregancy and birth of you? If the answer is no, is it fair to sue him for back child support? Your mother should have gone after him for child support herself when you were little....
If your father KNEW about you being born and here, I would say that he shrunk on his responsiblites and that he should be held accountable to pay some form of child support but your mom should have done that responsiblity too herself.
Now on laws, I dont know talk to your attorney but please do think of moral theory too....

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If there was never a court order for support, then Mom is plum out of luck. If there was, then the statute of limitations would depend on which state issued the order.

VeronicaGia

Was paternity ever legally established by your father either signing an acknowledgement of paternity, signing the birth certificate or taking a DNA test? If not, it's too late now.

Also, support in PA (where your mother lives) ends at age 18 if the child has graduated high school, or no later than age 19. If she never got a court order for support, it is too late.

nextwife

Even if a man KNEW that a woman he had sex with had a child, he has a right to presume that if mom never filed for CS or custody from him, another man was the father and was the one paying support. If mom never got a CS order, dad had no legal way to know that the child born was, in fact, his. It would be logical to presume the another guy tested positive in the DNA test. He's not obligated to demand DNA testing if he is not seeking any visitation or custody.

REad the archives MANY cases exist in which the woman gave birth to a child NOT biologically that of the guy tested.

10Spot

He Knew All along

My mother and he lived together before I was born. He was at the hospital when I was born.He refused to sign my birth certificate. He was also at my first Christmas, I saw the pictures. He later threatened my Mom, so she didn't proceed any further, she had good reason to be afraid. He disappeared for awhile, but I begged my Mom to track him down when I was 10 and she did. I saw him once a month for several months in which he did pay child support. Then, all of a sudden he disappeared again. He wouldn't take my calls. Paternity was never officially established, I know my Mom should have done it . He never pressed the issue, because I have the sneaking suspsion that his lawer advised him not to since he was sure he was my father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">