• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kaizr

Virginia.

I was recently pulled over for running a stop sign in my neighborhood, and along with that came a driving on a suspended license.

I was unaware it was suspended and immediately called the DMV to inquire.

I had three unpaid fines, from three different situations.

1: 74/65 on highway in PA (12-26-01) (16 years old)
- my mother took the ticket and I thought it was taken care of
- never received notice in the mail that my license had been suspended.

2: Illegal surfing ticket VA Beach (summer 2002) (17 years old)
- paid fine, however did not send in ticket with fine, received something in mail about it 2 days before court date, didn't go to court/send thing back in, received notice my license would be suspended if i did not pay another fine
- never received notice officially suspending my license

3: 87/65 on highway in MD (04-21-03) (18 years old)
- sat on fine for about a year
- never received notice about suspension of license

When I called the DMV these were the reasons why my license was suspended. It is my fault I did not pay the fines initially, however I was unaware my license was suspended from the PA incident and the MD incident. I also wrongly assumed that when I turned 18, the illegal surfing would clear as I was no longer a juvenile and my license would not be suspended. In addition, when I was pulled over in MD they said nothing of me having a suspended license and I assumed I was in the clear.

As of now, I paid off all the fines and have gotten my license reinstated. Court is still in a few weeks for the offense however. Regarding the PA offense, when I received the receipt of payment, it claimed I was doing 11 over, which would mean 76. I am entirely positive that it was 9 and thats exactly what the officer had said. This is not a huge deal, however I noticed there are differences in Insurance and points for over and under 10mph. My guess is to call PA and verify the situation. On top of that, I was reading through the forums and one said that if two years pass and nothing is done, no payment made or court attended, the tickets should drop; specifically in the state of PA. Is this true and can I get my $123.50 back?

To further complicate things, I had moved at some point in time. I do not remember if it was before or after the PA ticket, but it was sometime close I beleive. My license still had my old address, which was just around the corner. If in fact the state of PA had sent me warnings, they would have gone to my former residence, but should have been automatically forwarded.

How can I verify whether or not the notifications were sent at all?

Sorry for the long post, but I need help on this.

What is a likely sentence and would attending traffic school before the court-date help? I know they only are helpful in certain cases and also lower points/insurance rates. I've got points from PA and MD, do they transfer to the VA record? As it is my driving record within the state is relatively clean, with the pending stop sign charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">