• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Adult wants to separate from parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

musicgurly_03

What is the name of your state?Tx

I am 19 years old and am trying to grow up and be independent. My parents are still paying for my college. I have decided to start paying for college myself and move out and get a job. I know minors have emancipation, but since I am over 18, do I have to go through any legal procedures to "emancipate" myself from my parents. The reason I am asking this is for financial aid purposes for school. I also want to know if I have to put their name and income down on financial aid documents if they aren't intending to pay.

C

cibyr

I applaud you for wanting to be idenpedent from your parents, that is a sign of growing up.

Well, I had to sign bunchof papers for my 19years old son to go to college to get grants since his father and I spilt up and I can not even afford to send him to college.

They required to see my w-2 forms to be eligible for college fininacial aid.
So, I don't know if there is any other type of college forms that require parents w 2 forms the best bet is to go to college counselor and talk to them yourself...It will be hard and struggle!!!!!! You might have to work too to support yourself and study harder if your parents are not helping you at all. My oldest son would love to be in your shoes having his parents pay for this college education :) But He have to work very hard and prove to scholarships that he can do it.

(if your parents don't intend to pay for college, yes they require to see their W2 forms well that was in my case anyway. Maybe you can apply for financial aid too but must pay them back after you graduate from college and go to work.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">