• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be charged for lying to police?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JL1980

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I have a very good friend who has gotten into some trouble. He dated a girl who was underage and they ended up having consentual sex. He told me about this after the fact, after they were no longer dating. The girl was upset about the break-up and accused him of rape. The police questioned me and I told them that as far as I knew the two of them never had sex. Can I get in legal trouble for lying to the police about this?

stephenk

It could happen. If your friend decides to cop a plea bargain and ends up telling the police he told you about the sex he was having with the girl, you could face an obstruction of justice charge.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JL1980 said:
What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I have a very good friend who has gotten into some trouble. He dated a girl who was underage and they ended up having consentual sex. He told me about this after the fact, after they were no longer dating. The girl was upset about the break-up and accused him of rape. The police questioned me and I told them that as far as I knew the two of them never had sex. Can I get in legal trouble for lying to the police about this?

My response:

You do realize that, due to your religion, you'll be going to Hell and living in eternal pain and damnation!!!

You must repent your sins! It's your only salvation!!

Repent. Repent. Tell the truth and your soul will be free! **

IAAL

** Unfortunately, your body won't be free while you're doing time behind bars!!

calatty

It is highly unlikely you will be charged with anything. I assume you never saw them have sex, so you were telling the truth when you said as far as you know they didn't.

VR_Hunter

Do I have to come hunt you down too? I don't have time for this.

Just keep your mouth shut. You have no recollection of any conversations with your friend about this girl and sex. He may have said something, but you just don't remember.

Now, stick to that story and I won't have to come bring you in. Hopefully, I won't see you later.

dequeendistress

Based on the information posted, the locale of the poster and such, this person may have first hand knowledge. If you were asked a direct question and advised the investigator that you had NO knowledge, exactly what are your plans when the female tells the investigator she was present when the "boyfriend" was talking about having sex with her to you. In other words, did you ever stop to think "why is this investigator asking ME questions" there is a reason: Reason is that they believe you have first hand knowledge.

Something was said about you, at sometime, maybe the sexual event happened at your home, in your presence or nearby.

Formal criminal charges may or may not arise from your storytelling.

Would you mind advising us as to the ages of the persons involved here?

Last edited:

VR_Hunter

Or the police could be questioning you because you are a known "very good friend".

I assume the girl was not around during your discussion with your friend on the consensual sex subject? I mean, it was after the break up correct?

Regardless, you can call it hearsay or whatever you want. If you told them you don't know anything, then you don't.

Now if this guy is 18+ and this girl is 14, then you better pipe up and let the police know. If there is a doubt in your mind that he "could" have force her, then you have an obligation to let the police know. Nobody deserves to be forced....ever.

M

meerkat3232

A famous quote....

I think it was George Costanza who once said..."remember, it's not a lie...if YOU believe it". All rights reserved by NBC, no plaigarism here.

--Or you could just tell them you honestly thought your friend was just lying to you yet again about another piece he did'nt really tag. :)

JL1980

No, without revealing any identifying details, it was not anything like that. The girl was just barely under the age of consent, and my friend is barely out of his teens. Just to put everyone's minds at ease.

VR_Hunter

JL1980 said:
No, without revealing any identifying details, it was not anything like that. The girl was just barely under the age of consent, and my friend is barely out of his teens. Just to put everyone's minds at ease.
Thank you for the clarification. You all sounded pretty young. I think the only person who's mind needed to be put at ease was the person who was "unsettled" and in "Distress". LOL Just kidding Queen.

M

meerkat3232

Barely Legal?

"The girl was just barely under the age of consent"

---So, she was on the "hardly legal" side of "barely legal". (Both great magazines by the way) Did I say that out loud??? :confused:

dequeendistress

The word "barely" loosely translates to "self justification"

But I love the way these folks contradict themselves: He dated a girl who was underage and they ended up having consentual sex. and then he states she was barely under the age for consent.

Nice day.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">