• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where's the justice???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mary777

What is the name of your state? WI

Hi!
My father-in-law was riding his bicycle when he was hit by a automobile. The driver of the vehicle was arrested for drunk driving.
Since then we have learned that this will be the drivers 4th or 5th offense of OWI. This is my father-in-laws 14th day in ICU.
The driver of the car is now out on bail and able to drink in the bar. It was never stipulated on this person's bail agreement that this person not drink while out on bail.
Question 1:
What are my families recourses against this person who has a long history of traffic violations and probably without insurance not to mention bail jumping.
My father-in-law has been struggling for life and this person has the freewill to drink, drive(even without a license) and hurt someone else.
Question 2:
How does one go about getting penalties against drunk drivers changed. I feel the drunk driving penalties are not strong enough and apparently this person has proved it.
Could the state of WI be sued?
Taking one day at a time and hoping for a positive turn around in ICU.
Mary

stephenk

hire an attorney and sue the other driver. Make sure to ask for punitive damages. That is assuming your father was not at fault for the accident.

You cant sue Wisconsin for the actions of the driver.

If you know the other driver is still drinking and driving, notify the prosecutor. Put pressure on him/her to get the driver off the streets.

M

mary777

Need more information...

state: WI
My father-in-law was on a bicycle at the end of the driveway when hit by the drunk driver. Would this make my father-in-law at fault? Also, what if the drunk driver of the car doesn't have any car insurance. This driver was driving someone else's car because their license was revoked until the end of June. The car was probably reported stolen so the owner of the car wouldn't get into trouble. Thanks for the previous information and if you have anymore or if anyone has anymore information please let me know. Thanks!
Mary

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">