• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmoney75

What is the name of your state?texas
Do I need to show up to the court appearance if I am not contesting the divorce? I live 5 hours away and have to work. She wants the house and her car and wants the court to divide the other property but I don't want any of it. Nothing else was listed in the divorce decree except attorney's fees.

nextwife

Is there debt? Do you want to maybe end up with all the debt and no assets? Is YOUR name on the mortgage? Do you want to be liable for
a mortgage for the remaining term for a place you don't own, or do you want an agreement that she must refinance the mortage for you to Quit Claim your interest to her?

Think about ALL the long term consequences of not doing this right. In 10 years, you are maybe remarried to the woman you waited your whole life for - and you two cannot buy a home together because your ex defaulted on the mortage and your credit score stinks, or because you still have a debt obligation out there in the form of your current mortgage.

Last edited:
M

MichellePk

If you are filing an uncontested divorce and you sign a waiver you do not have to appear for the hearing.

But before you sign be sure you understand and agree to all the terms. Texas is a community property state and you are entitled to half the assets accumulated during the marriage and you are liable for half the debt incurred during the marriage. I am not a lawyer, but these facts I know as a result of my current uncontested divorce proceedings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">