• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contend Asset on divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Joe123

What is the name of your state?CA
I'm in the process of dissolution of marriage. My wife withdraw the money and gamble most of it. Is she liable for this and how do I get the money that she lost most of it in gambling?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Joe123 said:
What is the name of your state?CA
I'm in the process of dissolution of marriage. My wife withdraw the money and gamble most of it. Is she liable for this and how do I get the money that she lost most of it in gambling?

My response:

Did she do this before or after you had her served with the Summons and Petition for Dissolution?

IAAL

J

Joe123

Contend Asset on Divorce

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Did she do this before or after you had her served with the Summons and Petition for Dissolution?

IAAL

This happen before she served with the Summons and Petion for Dissolution.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Joe123 said:
This happen before she served with the Summons and Petion for Dissolution.

My response:

Then, you're out of luck. She had the right to access and spend the Community funds, just as much as you had the right, and to spend it or gamble it away as she saw fit.

IAAL

J

Joe123

In court does she have to provide proof of paper or receipt that she lost the money in gambling or just by verbal would satify the court.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Joe123 said:
In court does she have to provide proof of paper or receipt that she lost the money in gambling or just by verbal would satify the court.

My response:

She doesn't have to prove anything. Apparently, you don't understand Community Property laws of the State of California. The money is NOT yours or hers. The money belonged to the both of you. However, each person in a marriage has the right to take ALL of the money and spend it as they please DURING the marriage - - even if her gambling drove you to the "poor house".

If she had done this AFTER you served her with the Summons, then we'd have something to discuss. But, as it is, there's nothing you can do, and you have no right to get "your" money back from her.

You need to consult with a local attorney to explain all of this, and the facts of life, to you.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">