• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a video camera with microphone be used to identify a voice in a vandalism....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

needadvicehelp

What is the name of your state? FL

and tresspassing incident at a home involving less than $200 in damage? Is it legal to record someone's voice to be proof of who perpetrated the incident? It was a video camera wire on the outside of the house that was cut because it looked onto neighbors property. Constant battle between neighbor about this camera. Finally, it went a step further to the wire getting cut. Thanks for the advice!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

needadvicehelp said:
What is the name of your state? FL

and tresspassing incident at a home involving less than $200 in damage? Is it legal to record someone's voice to be proof of who perpetrated the incident? It was a video camera wire on the outside of the house that was cut because it looked onto neighbors property. Constant battle between neighbor about this camera. Finally, it went a step further to the wire getting cut. Thanks for the advice!

My response:

Sure it can.

What do you see on the video?

What do you hear on the video?

IAAL

N

needadvicehelp

Nothing can be seen, but voices can be heard before the wire is cut.

I thought it was illegal to record a person's voice to use it against them in court in FL. Will the police do anything if someone turns themselves in at pays for damages, or is it up to the homeowner to press charges. They said that if someone didn't come forward, then they would try to get a voice recognition, and come back and arrest someone. Would they let someone off for cutting the wire?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

needadvicehelp said:
I thought it was illegal to record a person's voice to use it against them in court in FL.

MY RESPONSE: Then you thought wrong. That's only in telephone use, and also when there is an "expectation of privacy". You get no privacy when you're trespassing, or committing illegal acts, on someone else's property.

Will the police do anything if someone turns themselves in at pays for damages, or is it up to the homeowner to press charges.

MY RESPONSE: Sounds like that "someone" is you. The crime has already been committed by you - - which is probably why you couldn't answer my two questions. You're the one on video, and you haven't seen or heard the video as yet. Way to go! You're sunk.

They said that if someone didn't come forward, then they would try to get a voice recognition, and come back and arrest someone.

MY RESPONSE: Good.

Would they let someone off for cutting the wire?

MY RESPONSE: No. You committed at least two crimes - - trespassing and destruction of private property.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">