• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Messy ex-fiance problems!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bella21

In California:

I need some advice on dealing with some pretty stinky problems... I'd been engaged to my ex for about 1 1/2 years. The relationship lasted for about 3 years total. About six months ago, I ended the relationship when the police came to his apartment and found somewhere between 1-3 oz of pot on him. By this time the relationship had headed south and I was looking for a way to end it... which I did immediately!

His response to that was:
Grab me after my last class that same night, pretend to leave when I told him to go, but end up jumping into my passenger seat. Refusing to leave for several minutes. Then, later that night, invent a fake suicide attempt which landed him in the hospital overnight. From that first day on, he has been stalking and harrassing myself and my family. Since the further harrassment had only been over the phone, I didn't file for a restraining order (also demotivated due to a overwhelming school schedule). Now, it's summer break... he had attempted to get me after class recently, but I was helped my a classmate (I have her #).

After one month, is it too late for the order? I can't afford $300 for one.

Also, I have a signed note from him promising to pay back $1,800 cash that I had lent him. However, it's not dated! The note says, in his handwritting, that he will pay me back or I "can take him to court and sue the **** out of him". Well, that looks like it needs to happen... however, I have check recipts that show thousands of dollars that I had lent him over the past couple years (I had even marked them "[his name] loan") for his various bills. He now claims (i have this on my voicemail) that he will deny that he wrote it, I also have his messages stating that he "will pay me back", "won't pay me back", yadda yadda, this ongoing game-playing has been the main reason I hadn't gotten the order and why I haven't taken him to court for his money yet... what are the chances he can pull that? I had put my name on his apt. lease since he didn't have good credit at the time. He had told me a year ago that he had it taken off... I had believed him, but he was lying. He says that I can't get my money back because the bills were also mine since my name was on the lease too. Can he DO that? I can get various testimonies from his neigbors and apt. managers/owners that I WASNT living there.
He's been taken under his grandmother's wing with his pot charges... should I write her a letter offering her a settlement offer for this money before finishing the court paperwork? Should I attempt to regain the $7-8,000 I've lent him over the past 2 years, or should I only try for the $1,800?

stephenk

get the restraining order already. if you are broke, file a request for a fee waiver.

small claims court has a $5000 limit. If you want to do it on your own and be done quickly, go that route.

If you want all that you claim he owes, consult with an attorney.

Does your ex have a job?

B

Bella21

No, I'm not broke... but $300 is much more than I have laying around the house. I think he's had one job in the past 6 months. He always SAYS he does, but he contradicts himself in his lies and his family tells me that, except for that one temporarily, he doesnt' have/ever had one.

What do you think about the letter? A waste of time?

B

Bella21

Oh, and since he's been selling and doing drugs this whole time... would that affect anything? I hadn't known the extent to which he was involved with all that stuff.

B

Bella21

Then you shouldn't bother posting to it... let alone read it! Thank you for your educated input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">