• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney Pressing For Postponement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hewlett

What is the name of your state? Va.

A few weeks ago I hired an attorney to represent me in traffic court for a reckless driving ticket. The court date is this coming Friday so last Friday I left a message just to touch base with him. Didn't hear back all day. Today I left another message first thing in the morning, and after a few tries later in the day I finally get ahold of him. After apologizing for not returning my earlier calls, he then goes on to tell me he'd like to get the court date postponed because his wife is pressuring him to go out of town for their vacation early. I wasn't quite sure how to react to this, so I just told him I would prefer to get it over with on Friday. He went around in circles a few times about a postponement...maybe getting another lawyer to fill for him...and then ended it by asking me to call him back tomorrow, "as late in the day as possible". I've never had to hire a lawyer before, and this seems very bizarre and unprofessional. Is a personal situation like that any reason to ask me to postpone? And what if I refuse, is he obligated to show or at least have another lawyer fill in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">