• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Day care expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PrimeTime8

What is the name of your state? Washington

I'm currently living in Utah with my two children. My ex and I split day care expenses 50/50 (per the divorce decree and order of child support). When the children visit their dad in Washington, am I obligated to pay half of the day care expenses incurred there? (I have to pay day care expenses for them here whether they are here or not to "hold" their spot). Seems crazy to have to pay day care expenses at two locations.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PrimeTime8 said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

I'm currently living in Utah with my two children. My ex and I split day care expenses 50/50 (per the divorce decree and order of child support). When the children visit their dad in Washington, am I obligated to pay half of the day care expenses incurred there? (I have to pay day care expenses for them here whether they are here or not to "hold" their spot). Seems crazy to have to pay day care expenses at two locations.

My response:

This is simple.

Right now, during visitation with Dad, your child requires two "Day-Care" centers. One, out of need with Dad, and the other with you due to actual contractual needs and obligations.

Both of the Day-Care centers, however, are needed. Since they're both "needed", they both add up to 100% of the total of your child's current needs, as explained above.

Therefore, when you divide 2 into 100% you get 50% - - and right now, since you're already paying the Utah Day-Care on your own, you're paying your 50% share by keeping your son's Utah Day-Care center under contract; i.e., you're paying 100% of the Utah Day-Care costs because otherwise, you'll lose that "spot".

So, that's your argument when you discuss this with Dad.

IAAL

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PrimeTime8 said:
Thanks for your assistance! :)

My response:

You're welcome. It would be "nice" if the Utah Day-Care center was "understanding" and that you could turn on, and turn off, the Utah contract like a light switch. But, the reality is that you can't, and that the Utah Day-Care doesn't have to be "understanding" of your situation; i.e., their contracts are "continuous" throughout the term of the contract with no stop/start abilities.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">