• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop payment on check & sheriff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BellaK

What is the name of your state?MN

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here goes....

I have 2 co-workers that decided to do business with one another. Co-worker #1 owns a auto repair business out of her home w/ her SO. Co-worker #2 had #1's SO tow her van to their house to see what was wrong with the engine. They give her the bill and she pays them with a check and then after she gets home she calls them up with questions about the van, they told her that they had another auto repair place analyze her engine. She wants to know the name of the repair shop and they won't tell her so she puts a stop payment on her check.

Co-worker #1 tells me that they did not have another repair shop analyze then engine that they did it themselves, but did not tell her that. Knowing that Co-worker #2 stopped the check they took it to their bank anyway and when it came bank returned they decided to take it to the sheriff. I told my co-worker that was stupid, they shouldn't have lied to her in the first place and should try to work something out with #2 instead of taking it up with the law. So we want to know if #1 can sue/or get #2 prosecuted for putting a stop on the check even though they lied to her?

CdwJava

This sound slike a civil matter. I doubt the sheriff is going to touch it. If it does involve law enforcement, than there is something more going on - like fraud. But, if what you wrote is what truly happened, then I can't see thig soing anywhere but small claims court (or superior court if the sums are high enough).

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">