• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I missed jury duty and then some.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

captainrightful

I'm in Oregon and I missed my appointment for jury duty, or at least jury selection so I went to the court house and had it posponed. I then had to move out of state for financial reasons and promptly forgot all about the jury selection... for about a year. I've heard from friends that if your out of state your fine but... if they're wrong and I'm now a felon (?!?) what are my options?

Thanks in advance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

captainrightful said:
I'm in Oregon and I missed my appointment for jury duty, or at least jury selection so I went to the court house and had it posponed. I then had to move out of state for financial reasons and promptly forgot all about the jury selection... for about a year. I've heard from friends that if your out of state your fine but... if they're wrong and I'm now a felon (?!?) what are my options?

Thanks in advance.

My response:

It's the State Penitentiary for you, sister!

You're on the run, you're a flight risk, you're a fugitive from justice!

(play "The Fugitive" theme music, here)

IAAL

CdwJava

I doubt they willl concern themselves too much about you. In CA I have rarely heard of any warrants being issued for failing to show for jury duty. And I doubt OR is going to do it either. At worst, its a low level misdemeanor.

Carl

VR_Hunter

captainrightful said:

Thanks in advance.
**You obviously knew about the new appointment selection. I think you left the state and said screw it. I am sure it was the least of your worries, but you made a choice. Now you must live with it.

I will be at your door to bring you in on July 1st. Get your affairs in order (no I don't mean "Affairs"). Pack a bag, you won't need much. If I have to come hunt you down, you will be charged with several other felonies. Just wait by the door and we will keep this simple. If I am late, don't move, just keep waiting. See you then.

C

captainrightful

What is the penalty for failure to appear?

Any person summoned for jury service who fails to respond or appear may be ordered by the Court to appear at their own expense to show good cause for their failure to comply with a summons. Any person failing to show good cause for non-compliance with the jury summons may be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned for not more than three days, or both, pursuant to Title 28,United State Code, Section 1866.

http://www.med.uscourts.gov/Site/jurorinformation/juryfaq.htm#FailureToAppear

Thanks you guys.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

captainrightful said:
What is the penalty for failure to appear?

Any person summoned for jury service who fails to respond or appear may be ordered by the Court to appear at their own expense to show good cause for their failure to comply with a summons. Any person failing to show good cause for non-compliance with the jury summons may be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned for not more than three days, or both, pursuant to Title 28,United State Code, Section 1866.

http://www.med.uscourts.gov/Site/jurorinformation/juryfaq.htm#FailureToAppear

Thanks you guys.

My response

I just love it when writers answer their own questions. It's so refreshing!

Of course, that's a Federal Code, and not a State Code. I think Oregon might have a different opinion and penalty than the Feds.

IAAL

C

captainrightful

FAILURE TO RESPOND: Jury Duty is a civic duty of each citizen. Failure to respond to the jury summons may result in CONTEMPT OF COURT.

http://www.ojd.state.or.us/jac/Jury_Service/jury_service.html

That's state.

CONTEMPT OF COURT - Any willful disobedience to, or disregard of, a court order or any misconduct in the presence of a court; action that interferes with a judge's ability to administer justice or that insults the dignity of the court; punishable by fine or imprisonment or both. There are both civil and criminal contempts; the distinction is often unclear.

Contempt Of Court -- Civil Or Criminal

A judge who feels someone is improperly challenging or ignoring the court's authority has the power to declare the defiant person (called the contemnor) in contempt of court. There are two types of contempt - criminal and civil. Criminal contempt occurs when the contemnor actually interferes with the ability of the court to function properly - for example, by yelling at the judge. This is also called direct contempt because it occurs directly in front of the judge. A criminal contemnor may be fined, jailed or both as punishment for his act.

Civil contempt occurs when the contemnor willfully disobeys a court order. This is also called indirect contempt because it occurs outside the judge's immediate realm and evidence must be presented to the judge to prove the contempt. A civil contemnor, too, may be fined, jailed or both. The fine or jailing is meant to coerce the contemnor into obeying the court, not to punish him, and the contemnor will be released from jail just as soon as he complies with the court order. In family law, civil contempt is one way a court enforces alimony, child support, custody and visitation orders which have been violated.

http://www.lectlaw.com/def/c118.htm

Last edited:

VR_Hunter

captainrightful said:
FAILURE TO RESPOND: Jury Duty is a civic duty of each citizen. Failure to respond to the jury summons may result in CONTEMPT OF COURT.

http://www.ojd.state.or.us/jac/Jury_Service/jury_service.html

That's state.

CONTEMPT OF COURT - Any willful disobedience to, or disregard of, a court order or any misconduct in the presence of a court; action that interferes with a judge's ability to administer justice or that insults the dignity of the court; punishable by fine or imprisonment or both. There are both civil and criminal contempts; the distinction is often unclear.

Contempt Of Court -- Civil Or Criminal

A judge who feels someone is improperly challenging or ignoring the court's authority has the power to declare the defiant person (called the contemnor) in contempt of court. There are two types of contempt - criminal and civil. Criminal contempt occurs when the contemnor actually interferes with the ability of the court to function properly - for example, by yelling at the judge. This is also called direct contempt because it occurs directly in front of the judge. A criminal contemnor may be fined, jailed or both as punishment for his act.

Civil contempt occurs when the contemnor willfully disobeys a court order. This is also called indirect contempt because it occurs outside the judge's immediate realm and evidence must be presented to the judge to prove the contempt. A civil contemnor, too, may be fined, jailed or both. The fine or jailing is meant to coerce the contemnor into obeying the court, not to punish him, and the contemnor will be released from jail just as soon as he complies with the court order. In family law, civil contempt is one way a court enforces alimony, child support, custody and visitation orders which have been violated.

http://www.lectlaw.com/def/c118.htm

**Once again, you answered your own question. Glad to see you are taking steps to gain control of your life.

P

Peety

It could have been a test ....

.... and if so you failed :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">