• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-claim Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hynotoad

Need Pre-claim Advice

What is the name of your state? Washington

About a month ago, my girlfriend was on her bicycle and was hit by an uninsured motorist. A police officer happened to be there and saw the whole thing and wrote an accident report. The driver had a fake insurance ID card so he didn't receive a citation for being uninsured. When my girlfriend called the driver to confront him (after calling and discovering he was uninsured) he said he'd pay the damages out of pocket. Of course he hasn't, and as of yesterday, basically told my girlfriend to f-off. She doesn't have a U/M rider on her insurance so we're going to sue the driver. Damages are around $2000k (to her bike and medical bills).

Here are my questions:

1. We're pretty sure we have a solid case (police witness, report) but are worried about collecting judgement. What options do we have in Washington? Can we get property seized?

2. Is there a way to get the guy ticketed for not having insurance ($480 fine in WA) now?

3. What forms do we need (is there a place I can download them?) to make sure we have as few hang-ups as possible?

4. Do you have any advice or things to watch out for? This will be our first time taking someone to Small Claims.

I hate to have to do this, but the driver is being a bung and we're just trying to pay the bills he caused.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">