• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crossing over double yellow line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mnawalters

What is the name of your state? GA

Got a uniform traffic citation (UTC) for code 40-6-46 (passing in no passing zone). Several questions...

First of all, I have read where the UTC must be signed by the officer properly. He did not sign the citation (only printed his name) and also did not fill in badge# or div. - is this improper filing of UTC and grounds for dismissal?

Second, I read the code and it states "no driver shall at any time drive on the left side of any pavement striping..." - since my car was not fully on the left side of the stripes (I only 'straddled' the lines - plus it was raining heavily and hard to see) would this be grounds for dismissal?

Finally, this is common practice in GA - I can tape this intersection everyday at the same time and everyone will straddle or cross the line who are turning left. In addition, I was following other cars that day - is this grounds for dismissal?

I have been driving for 20 years without ever having a ticket prior - will the court look favorable on this as well or does it not matter if I go to fight?

Thanks for all who view and advise...

CdwJava

No. I doubt that his lack of a signature or ID number will invalidate the ticket. His name is on it. Improper completion of the document is rarely a cause for dismissal of citations unless it is rather heinous (like no vehicle info at all, and maybe no name and/or license of the driver).

And if only part of your car was on the left hand side of the line, you had crossed the yellow line and were driving on the left side of the striping. ANd I doubt the rain will be much of an issue, but it could be if the striping was not clear due to the weather. But, that would just make it more incumbent upon you to drive with greater care and perhaps slow down so you COULD identify the road better.

And the fact that others break the law is not grounds for dismisal in your case. We can't catch everybody.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">