• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bail money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cire318

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Kentucky
What happens to the bail money posted to get a person out of jail when that person fails to appear at the next court date? The person had been arrested for nonpayment of child support.
Thanks for any information

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cire318 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Kentucky
What happens to the bail money posted to get a person out of jail when that person fails to appear at the next court date? The person had been arrested for nonpayment of child support.
Thanks for any information

My response:

When a suspect/defendant is "out on bail", and subsequently fails to appear for court, the bail money is forfeited to the court. However, the court allows a certain amount of time for the bail to become exonerated - - perhaps 30 to 60 days, to be returned to whomever put up the bond money - - usually a Bondsman.

Then, the suspect/defendant has one pissed off Bail Bondsman on his hands who sends out his "enforcement" team to track down the suspect/defendant. The Bondsman wants his money and is not about to lose his money to the court. So, eventually the suspect is located by the "enforcers" (not pretty), and is hauled back to the Sheriff's office.

Then, the suspect stays in jail waiting for trial (which could be months away), and the Bond money is exonerated by the court (returned to the Bondsman).

IAAL

C

cire318

thank you for your reply, it was the suspect/defendant's parents that posted the bail. They will not track him down to send him to jail (they know where he lives). The judge issued another warrant for his arrest. I've heard from friends that the bail money could be applied towards back child support.
Is this correct?
thanks again

VeronicaGia

I think you missed a large point in the post. The bail bondsman will track him down and turn him in. They want their money. They will get it one way or the other, even if the parents have to pay it.

C

cire318

I am getting confused. From IAAL'a reply I anderstood that the parents were "the Bondsmen". they had already paid the bond. They would like their money back but not bad enough to turn their son in. So my question was wether the money was definitely forfeited to the court or could it be applied towards back child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">