• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Property Sale Gone BAD!

• Thread starter pooh81330@hotma
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pooh81330@hotma

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

Before waisting everyone's time with a small claims suit, I wanted to find out if I had a chance of winning a case at all.

About 10 or 11 months ago I agreed to sell a futon to a friend of a friend for a fee of $200. It was a verbal agreement and due to the nature of the item, I allowed her to pick it up from where it was being stored and mail me the payment. Well, several months went by and as I got busy starting a new job, planning a wedding, and buying a house, I realized that I still had not received payment and contacted the buyer about the money. She was very nice and apologetic and agreed to give me the $200 when she got paid next. Well, months of phone tag went by and she still had not paid me and had given every excuse in the book. Finally, she agreed to meet at her work and she would give me the $200. Upon arrival (with one of my friends), she gave me $100 and told me that she did not have the other $100 and would definitely have it next week and call me to get it to me. She never called and after another 2 months of attempted contact and leaving messages, she finally called me back and told me she would not pay the additional $100 because we only agreed on $100 and she had a money order receipt that showed that she originally sent me $100 long before that anyway (totalling $200 she claims to have paid). Now, she wants to give the futon back and get the $100 she gave me.

I know I am the idiot for not documenting any of this sale and trusting that she would uphold her end. But, do I have anything at all to stand on besides her own conradicting statements for a small claims case?

stephenk

Total up how much time you have spent trying to get this remaining $100. Is it worth it to continue?

She is not your friend. Ignore her.

If she drops off the futon, give it to charity. You dont owe her any money. What argument can she make to ask for money back after she has kept the futon for a year?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">