• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want's Half Attorney Fees?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BeenPatient

What is the name of your state?Illinois Law Question: Got divorced two years ago, husband was making his support payments, though unwillingly! In our divorce agreement, we agreed to split the cost of attorneys fees (we used the same lawyer...I know! :rolleyes: ) Anyway, he stopped making payments in January of this year, so I waited, (five months!!) I sent him a letter to remind him of his obligations...no answer...sooooooo I got an attorney! :) My lawyer contacted his lawyer and reminded him that he could be found in Contempt of Court Orders and be responsible for not only his attorney fees, but mine as well...Guess what?...One week later I had a check for the full amount I was due.

Here is the question....NOW he is sending me a bill for me to pay half "HIS" attorney's fees!!!!!!! :eek: (same lawyer who handled divorce) From the people I have spoken with, I owe him nothing since he "breached agreement" of the divorce, and I had to retain a lawyer to get him to pay! Can he do this??? It seems awfully wrong if he can, AND if he can, can I send him a bill to pay half of my attorneys fees??? Thanks to anyone can answer this very simple question!!

BelizeBreeze

If the 'bill' is from the original divorce proceedings then yes, you agreed to pay half. If it is from this current 'squabble' then no. Tell him to go jump.

And both of you grow the hell up.

B

BeenPatient

Thank you for answering my question, it is much appreciated. Things would go smoothly if "someone" could act like an adult, but as you can see, this forum is full of adults who haven't grown up, and some who have who just need help to get away from the children! :) Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">