• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right of way questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ramona-x

What is the name of your state? NY
Two years ago we bought a farm at the end of a road. The farmstead (house and barns) is located where the public road ends, but the farm road continues. The previous farmer sold 4 land-locked parcels of land (no public road frontage) at the end of the farm road, and gave deeded rights-of-way for purpose of ingress and egress to the owners. One owner applied for a zoning variance to build a residence. It was granted and since the house was built, we have had many problems with traffic speeding by our home, making it a dangerous place for a family with children. We recently were able to stop the granting of another variance, because of the difficulties we’ve had, and the problems we’ve encountered trying to farm our property.
Recently we removed an old fence that was located roughly 15 feet from the edge of the farm road, and began putting in new posts to contain our livestock. We were met by a ‘representative’ of the rights-of-way holders, telling us we could not put our fence there because they have a 50’ right of way. If that is true, some of our farm buildings are within that. Our deed does not say they have a specific width, but says they have a right of way for ingress and egress along the existing farm road. It DOES say that we have the right to convey to the TOWN, a 50’ width along the existing private right of way, if they so desire to take it over. We are getting a copy of their deeds to find out if theirs differs from ours.
1.) If indeed, they DO have a 50’ right of way, can we still replace the fence that existed on our farm before they ever had deeds written?
2.) Because the traffic is bad and people generally ignore the stop sign that is located at the end of the public road/the beginning of our private property, we were going to place a 20’ wide gate at this point, to give the clear sign that it is private property. We would leave this gate open, therefore not impeding anyone’s ability to travel to their property. Any vehicle can pass through a 20’ opening. The current farm road is single lane. Can we do this?
3.) I read in another post that someone was going to put a gate in that would be locked, with the property owners having keys…. Is that possible in NY?

BelizeBreeze

The next time your 'neighbors' tell you something, reply simply "prove it because my deed says only ingress and egress."

R

Ramona-x

NY
If their deed was written before ours, then theirs is correct, from what I understand.
What about the other things I asked?

HomeGuru

Ramona-x said:
NY
If their deed was written before ours, then theirs is correct, from what I understand.

**A: and just how do you know that your understanding is correct?
What about the other things I asked?

**A: what other things?

R

Ramona-x

Our lawyer said that if their deed was written before ours, then theirs takes precedence.
I had asked about whether we could replace a fence running along the road to contain livestock, that is within the specified 50' easement.

R

Ramona-x

ok, I just got a message from our lawyer.... he says it does give them a 50 feet wide right of way for access and for electric and telephone line installation and maintenance, even though ours doesn't state that. Their deed was written in 89, ours in 01.
The fence we want to replace has been in that location for at least 75 yrs.
Just WHAT can we do with our property within that 50ft width of right of way. We would like to graze it with our sheep for one thing.

R

Ramona-x

One reason I'm asking here is that he says he is not familiar with this kind of thing, and it will take him hours (and tons of $$) to find out anything for us.

HomeGuru

Ramona-x said:
One reason I'm asking here is that he says he is not familiar with this kind of thing, and it will take him hours (and tons of $$) to find out anything for us.
**A: same here. Is he not an experienced real estate attorney?

R

Ramona-x

Also, could we put up a gate that is 20' wide, so any vehicle could pass through, not to be kept closed, that is in that 50' right of way?

R

Ramona-x

we originally hired this attorney for advice with stopping a zoning variance from being granted. He doesn't usually deal with rights-of-way matters I guess.

HomeGuru

Ramona-x said:
we originally hired this attorney for advice with stopping a zoning variance from being granted. He doesn't usually deal with rights-of-way matters I guess.
**A: in that case, it would be very prudent to hire another real estate attorney that can get the job done for you.

R

Ramona-x

Is this really that difficult a question to get an answer to???
I just want to know what rights the property owner has, in the area that is designated as a right of way for others to pass. As long as we are not blocking the way, shouldn't we be able to control the traffic somehow? Prevent people from driving fast?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">