• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laying drags on private property

• Thread starter BlueAngelofLove
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BlueAngelofLove

What is the name of your state?Marietta, Georgia
age 17, female, class D license

Ok I live in cobb county, and one night me and 2 other friends were in Gwinnet county at the movies, and afterwards when we were done with the movie and leaving we decided to go to this Kia parking lot. It was basically a business parking lot. The three of us (all in diff cars) got there and mess around, which included doing donuts and sliding sideways in our cars. five minutes after we got there, three cops showed up and pulled us over. Turns out somone driving on the road thought we looked suspicious and called the cops...there was no one on the property that called on us, just somone passing by. Anyway, I get a ticket, but my other friends who got pulled over just get their cars searched, but no ticket. My ticket says the following:

"Observed above vehicle laying drags in circular motion in private parking lot...driver admitted to violation"

Is there anyway to get out of this? Is there something with the private property that could help me, or the fact that my other friends didn't get tickets? Is there any chance they'd let it go since this is my first ticket? The only reason I admitted was because the cop was threatening to put me to jail for it, which obviously scared the crap out of me.

Anything i can do about it?

CdwJava

Not much you can do about it. Because the lot was accessible to the general public, it likely becomes free game for enforcement of certain statutes. The same holds true in CA.

Now, if you did donuts on YOUR private property and off the roadway, then you might have an argument. But, you didn't.

Good luck.

Carl

Maestro64

As Carl point out it comes down to the definition of the property you were on. If it is consider general public accessible property and the police in GA have jurisdiction over the property then there is not much you can do, especially since you admitted to the offense. Sounds like your buddies did not so they did not get a ticket.

Now if the property is truly private property and the town does not have some sort of ordnance giving the police authority to enforce certain laws then I would say the ticket is not valid. Usually you can do whatever you like on private properly.

You first need to know what authority the police have over that property to determine if the ticket is valid.

justalayman

hay maestro. did you notice you were responding to a 5 year old thread?

My response was to a poster that posted yesterday. I don't remember what it was about but it had nothing to do with the original thread. That post has apparently been deleted.

Maestro64

hay maestro. did you notice you were responding to a 5 year old thread?

My response was to a poster that posted yesterday. I don't remember what it was about but it had nothing to do with the original thread. That post has apparently been deleted.
You started this... and that was a likely accuse LOL

justalayman

I started what? I don't see any posts from me between you and Carls and no, I did not edit any posts either.

actually this is strange because I know I did post and I really didn't edit it out.

I_Got_Banned

I started what? I don't see any posts from me between you and Carls and no, I did not edit any posts either.

actually this is strange because I know I did post and I really didn't edit it out.
I will vouch for justalayman, there was a post about some sort of movie review about the new "Terminator" movie... :D

I assume it was deleted earlier today... ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">