• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandoment question in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

ben

What is the name of your state? NY

At what point in a beggining of a divorse am I (man) not responsible for her credit card bills?

She left a week ago and I have done nothing so far.

nextwife

Are they "her" bills (her sole premarital accounts) or are they both of your joint bills with both of your names?

Understand that YOUR credit is affected by failing to pay on any marital debt, regardless of who actually made the purchase. Your creditors will be able to go after YOU legally on any marital debts.

B

ben

they are her personal stuff that she bought with her card, while we are married. she ran the CC's up to 50,000 a few years ago and I remortaged the house and took her cards away.
Then she got new cards and ran them up to 10,000 last christmas.
now last month another 3,000 and we got in an discussion about her being a shopahaulic and she gave me her cards.
Now without notice last sunday she left me and my 13 and her 19 year old.

what does abandonment mean? legally . and does she qualify?

the card is in her sole name and the house is in our name.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">