• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A few questions ....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mi1

What is the name of your state? MS

Situation: Wife and I have been married for 1 year. Now I want a divorce, she does not. I owned the house 2 years before we married. I bought her a new vehicle 1 month before the wedding and she says "its was a gift" technically it was, the title is in my name though.

Questions:

1. Is she entitled to that vehicle? even though a very large amount still remains on the loan? Must I provide some type of transportation for her?

2. The house is in my name also, does she have any right to the home? Can I make her leave? if she does leave, does that help my position to force us to get a divorce?

3. She was a stay-at-home mom (no kids between us, but she has kids) am I obligated to pay spousal support or provide the lifestyle she had while we were married?

4. If she wont sign the divorce papers, how can I force the divorce to go through?

BelizeBreeze

1. Is she entitled to that vehicle? even though a very large amount still remains on the loan? Must I provide some type of transportation for her?
No. But then, it's a property settlement so why wouldn't you give her the car AND the debt?

2. The house is in my name also, does she have any right to the home? Can I make her leave? if she does leave, does that help my position to force us to get a divorce?
No, yes and who knows?

3. She was a stay-at-home mom (no kids between us, but she has kids) am I obligated to pay spousal support or provide the lifestyle she had while we were married?
After only one year very doubtful.

4. If she wont sign the divorce papers, how can I force the divorce to go through?
Just file the damn things. She doesn't have to give permission for you to file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">