• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traveling to get a quicker divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IsisGypsy

What is the name of your state? Washington

Can I travel to another state with a faster divorce finalization time than WA's 90-days? I have heard that as quick as you can get married in Nevada, you can also get divorced rather quickly. This is an uncontested divorce but we do not want to wait the 90 days due to military issues (I am active duty) and getting my wife off of my paperwork. I have a friend who lives in Las Vegas, NV who filed an uncontested divorce and it was final in 1 week. Can we do this?

HomeGuru

IsisGypsy said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

Can I travel to another state with a faster divorce finalization time than WA's 90-days? I have heard that as quick as you can get married in Nevada, you can also get divorced rather quickly. This is an uncontested divorce but we do not want to wait the 90 days due to military issues (I am active duty) and getting my wife off of my paperwork. I have a friend who lives in Las Vegas, NV who filed an uncontested divorce and it was final in 1 week. Can we do this?

**A: go to Nigeria, it's even faster.

I

IsisGypsy

While I appreciate the humor, this is actually a serious issue. I am about to be deployed again and would like to have my spouse removed from my paperwork in the event that something happens to me. I have 2 children that I would like to ensure are taken care of properly and do not wish to financially support a spouse who has nothing to do with these children. Currently, by military rules, my spouse is entitled to a certain percentage of my pay and I would like this going to my children.

HomeGuru

IsisGypsy said:
While I appreciate the humor, this is actually a serious issue. I am about to be deployed again and would like to have my spouse removed from my paperwork in the event that something happens to me. I have 2 children that I would like to ensure are taken care of properly and do not wish to financially support a spouse who has nothing to do with these children. Currently, by military rules, my spouse is entitled to a certain percentage of my pay and I would like this going to my children.

**A: Got JAG?

I

IsisGypsy

Yes but no appointments available before my ship deploys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">