• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stuck with credit card bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kalig101

What is the name of your state? California

About 3 to 4 years ago, my boyfriend and I lived together and racked up credit card bills under my name. We split up about 2 years ago and now I'm still paying for the credit card bills that amount to $9000 with an APR of 25.99. I'm struggling to pay it - being single mother doesn't help. He doesn't deny that he owes half of it but claims he doesn't have the money to pay for it. He also has missed 3 months of paying me child support (we had our own agreement and not thru court) which is a whole 'nother problem. Was wondering - could I take him to court for this and make him liable to pay for half of it?

Thanks.

HomeGuru

kalig101 said:
What is the name of your state? California

About 3 to 4 years ago, my boyfriend and I lived together and racked up credit card bills under my name. We split up about 2 years ago and now I'm still paying for the credit card bills that amount to $9000 with an APR of 25.99. I'm struggling to pay it - being single mother doesn't help. He doesn't deny that he owes half of it but claims he doesn't have the money to pay for it. He also has missed 3 months of paying me child support (we had our own agreement and not thru court) which is a whole 'nother problem. Was wondering - could I take him to court for this and make him liable to pay for half of it?

Thanks.
**A: yes and possibly.

K

kalig101

Thanks for your quick response. A couple more questions...

If the judge makes him liable to pay for it... would it come off my name and onto his? Would it stay on my credit card until he payed it off? Is there anyway I can get half of it off from my name?

Last edited:

BL

Small Claims are for money damages only.
Sorry, It's in your name,you are responsible.

If he has assets you can go after certain ones if awarded an amount .

BL

Take him into court. Get the Judgment. It will be good for how ever many yrs. you state allows,then renewable.
Maybe he'll Win the lottery , and you can collect.

Take him in for Court Ordered Child support, maybe it will get him off his duff.

K

kalig101

thanks.... im in th process of doing that. i've been giving him chances, but im tired of bounced checks and empty promises from him. im also now contemplating on filing for bankruptcy as my monthly bills are about a grand over what i get paid. hehehe, i'll probably be over in the bankruptcy forum in a minute asking for advice. ahhh, the joys of being in debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">