• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Benefits a part of compensation for services rendered?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dino1054

What is the name of your state? INDIANA

I recently resigned from my position at a prominent university in Indiana. My three-year contract stipulates that I teach nine months of the year. In the summer I have no contractual obligations, but the university does cover health benefits for the full 12 months of the year. I resigned at the end of June, and the university responded that they interpreted my effective resignation date to be July 2. THEREFORE, they went on, I would not receive healthcare for the month of August, and the premiums I paid out of my May paycheck would be reimbursed to me.

QUESTION: Does this not constitute a defrauding of my wages, as 12 months of healthcare coverage are a part of my compensation for my teaching 9 months?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I sincerely doubt it. But you will have to show the entire contract to a local lawyer to be certain. The EXACT wording and the context make a difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">