• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help....Offered pmt but still refused to see me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mamasbyz

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?N.C.

I made an appt with my doctor and when I arrived the girl at the front desk stated I had a past due balance from Sept 03 of $140.00. I told her I had medicaid from Aug 03-April 04 and they should have a copy of my card in my medical record. She stated she was showing no coverage in September and I told her it made no sense that they would "skip" a month of coverage. Anyway, I have United Healthcare now and have a $20 copay. I was prepared to pay my copay but she told me I had to pay my copy + 20% (around $30)of the past due bal. I told her I could not afford to pay that much ($50) and I offered to pay 20.00 for copay and $10 on past due bal b/c I was low on funds and set up arrangements for $20 every 2 weeks until I could get everything straight w/ medicaid. She told me that was not acceptable and refused to accept my offer and would not let me be seen. I told her as long as I was offering some sort of pmt, how could they refuse me to be seen. She stated it was office policy but I asked her to put her refusal in writing and she told me she would not put anything in writing. She then told me she would take my money but I still could not be seen that day.
My question is...can they do this?? I did offer some sort of pmt on the balance!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mamasbyz said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?N.C.

I made an appt with my doctor and when I arrived the girl at the front desk stated I had a past due balance from Sept 03 of $140.00. I told her I had medicaid from Aug 03-April 04 and they should have a copy of my card in my medical record. She stated she was showing no coverage in September and I told her it made no sense that they would "skip" a month of coverage. Anyway, I have United Healthcare now and have a $20 copay. I was prepared to pay my copay but she told me I had to pay my copy + 20% (around $30)of the past due bal. I told her I could not afford to pay that much ($50) and I offered to pay 20.00 for copay and $10 on past due bal b/c I was low on funds and set up arrangements for $20 every 2 weeks until I could get everything straight w/ medicaid. She told me that was not acceptable and refused to accept my offer and would not let me be seen. I told her as long as I was offering some sort of pmt, how could they refuse me to be seen. She stated it was office policy but I asked her to put her refusal in writing and she told me she would not put anything in writing. She then told me she would take my money but I still could not be seen that day.
My question is...can they do this?? I did offer some sort of pmt on the balance!

My response:

Yes, your doctor's office can do this because you owe money. They don't have to accept your "offer", and they don't have to see you as a patient. You don't make the rules, terms or conditions - - they do.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">