• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dead Beat Mom - Much more difficult.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wnagel

What is the name of your state? KS

I am in Kansas and Mom is in New York. Since Mom currently owes me over $15,000 of child support and in the last 6 months has only paid $100. The Kansas SRS said that they can't do anything for many reasons.

1) She lives in another state
2) She quits her job and finds another everytime they trace her down.
3) She has made at least one payment in 6 months.
4) She keeps her property and vehicles in someone elses name.
5) That the local Judge can is limited by state lines, so filing a contempt to get a warrant for her arrest would just be local and would do no good.

Is this all correct? They tell me that there is nothing they can do and tell me that they are going to send her a letter and to give her time to respond I should wait another month or so. I've told them that she receives large quarterly payments from an irrevocable trust. Is this something that they can tap in to? What powers does these agencies have to enforce child support?

J

JEvans1005

Well, your in a pickle! My advice is that you find a private attorney because these state ran childsupport agencies do not seem very interested in helping those of us who don't require their services for foodstamps,healthcare,etc. I live in Oklahoma where My ex husband has been on the list for 12 years and counting.-- same scenario he lives out of state, works for under the table cash.etc., etc. The cost of a private agency may be just that, a cost, but you would probably get better results and at least someone would be working in your behalf.

wnagel

Thank you for the response. As a matter of fact I did hire an attorney and filed a contempt. The Judge said that he could issue a warrant but that would probably cause her to get upset and not pay and his warrant was only good for Kansas and would have no affect in New York. He said that he would NOT issue a warrant because he wanted her to pay. Likewise, he would not listen to our motion because he said that since she is not present in court, (even though served) she was not able to answer why she didn't pay. He said that he needs to know if she couldn't pay or just did not want to pay. So until she appears, he said that he did not want to do anything. He wouldn't even give me attorney fees for bringing this action.

J

JEvans1005

Did The judge issue a judgement on the amt of child support arrears? If so then you can contact an attorney in New York where she lives to have it heard there and enforced there. You don't want her in jail you want her to pay the support. If she is in jail she isn't obligated to pay.

M

marla1971

Wnagel-
I am in a similar situation. I am in NJ and ahave custody. Ex is in Fla, he owes $30,000 in back support. I have been told the same things. He was visiting recently and I asked for a warrant explaining that he would be in NJ. My request was denied. I have my feelers out for a lawyer.
Wish you luck. Keep us informed if you make any progress.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">