• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about statute of limitations for fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

freebird1970

What is the name of your state? PA

My question is, if you recieved money for goods from someone from another state but then didnt deliver the exact goods promised in an online auction, and then you moved to canada where no one could contact you what could be done?

Can charges be filed against you when law enforcements cant contact you? If so, after charges are filed how long do they have to arrest you before the statute of limitations comes into play?

I know that a friend of my wife robbed a bank in the 70's and wasn't arrested for 7 years, when they finnally arrested him it was a few days beyond the statute of limitations and nothing could be done to him.

thanks

Last edited:

CdwJava

If the action has been begun - i.e. charges have been filed - then there is a good chance that the whole thing is on hold waiting for you to return. If a warrant has been issued for your arrest, then the SOL certainly is on hold.

People seem to think if they hide long enough their crimes will go away ... they don't. Unless you could not be identified in any way, chances are you have silver bracelets waiting for you if you pissed off your customer enough.

Oh ... and bad news .... Canada WILL extradite you to the USA. They don't want crooks in their country, either.

Carl

F

freebird1970

That was my question, if charges havent been filed, can they be filed on someone no longer in the country?

"People seem to think if they hide long enough their crimes will go away ... they don't." - Does SOL not exist, or is it only applicable so that you can't be charged for a crime after a long period of time?

By the way I'm not asking this question for me but rather a friend, who may have to deal with these sort of charges but she has left the country to canada a few weeks ago, not to avoid legal issues, but because it was already her plans, I was just curious as to how SOL would apply here.

HomeGuru

freebird1970 said:
That was my question, if charges havent been filed, can they be filed on someone no longer in the country?

"People seem to think if they hide long enough their crimes will go away ... they don't." - Does SOL not exist, or is it only applicable so that you can't be charged for a crime after a long period of time?

By the way I'm not asking this question for me but rather a friend, who may have to deal with these sort of charges but she has left the country to canada a few weeks ago, not to avoid legal issues, but because it was already her plans, I was just curious as to how SOL would apply here.
**A: and were her plans also to rip someone off in an online auction?

CdwJava

Does SOL not exist, or is it only applicable so that you can't be charged for a crime after a long period of time?

It generally applies for crimes that are not reported or discovered until after a time has passed. If it gets reported to the police and they take action on it - like obtain a warrant - then the SOL is generally going to be void. If they are not told about it, or they just let it go, then the SOL may toll after a specified period of time (which varies by state and crime).

Carl

F

freebird1970

ok, so what is the worst thing that can happen, in pennsylvania, for not delivering the exact item as described?

She tells me she didnt think the difference between the item and what was listed would be that big of a deal, but apparently the buyer thought differently.

CdwJava

It depends on what crimes are alleged. If they amount to serious felonies, then you could face prison time. Without knowing the details and the crimes you face, nobody but an attorney in PA could possibly tell you what crimes you might face. AND, its always possible that federal charges might apply as well ... depending on the facts.

You really need to talk with an attorney in PA.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">