• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

support percentage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

singledadinca

What is the name of your state?california
what is the base amount of support is there a percentage?
the background on my issue. we were never married. we lived together for 9 months to a year. in that time she stopped working at around 7 months pregnant, the relationship was and or isnt a good one for me or my other son to see. i send her $400 a month and go every other weekend to try to see my son with her every time i am down there. while there i go to store and stock her up on needed items and some wanted ones. the problem is it is a 12 hour roundtrip for me and while i am there she will not let me take my son for more than 2-3 hours each day. Unless i include her in my plans,using him as some sort of bait to get me.There has been no court actions or papers filed yet and i was hoping that 2 adults could work this out butt, as stated she wont go back to work and every few weeks threatens me w/not bieng able to see him unless i pay for this or that,meaning house or car reg.etc..
my son with her is @7 months of age.now am i way off with the amount of $$ or??? i make @40-60k it is for 1 son the other (older different mom) i have full custody and recieve no $$

G

Gonwin

singledad...

I think it's clear that you and your X are not on the same page and you're not working together as two mature adults. You NEED to have a legal custody/support/visitation order (asap). Once this is done, you will have specific visitation times and she will not be bothering you when her car registration is due (she sounds like a pain in the rear). On another note, I would also look into getting child support for your other child. Why is his mother not helping support him??? I hope this all works out for you. You sound like a nice person and a good father and you shouldn't be taken advantage of.

Shay-Pari'e

singledadinca said:
What is the name of your state?california
what is the base amount of support is there a percentage?
the background on my issue. we were never married. we lived together for 9 months to a year. in that time she stopped working at around 7 months pregnant, the relationship was and or isnt a good one for me or my other son to see. i send her $400 a month and go every other weekend to try to see my son with her every time i am down there. while there i go to store and stock her up on needed items and some wanted ones. the problem is it is a 12 hour roundtrip for me and while i am there she will not let me take my son for more than 2-3 hours each day. Unless i include her in my plans,using him as some sort of bait to get me.There has been no court actions or papers filed yet and i was hoping that 2 adults could work this out butt, as stated she wont go back to work and every few weeks threatens me w/not bieng able to see him unless i pay for this or that,meaning house or car reg.etc..
my son with her is @7 months of age.now am i way off with the amount of $$ or??? i make @40-60k it is for 1 son the other (older different mom) i have full custody and recieve no $$

Support in CA is determined by using the DissoMaster. No one can tell you the exact percentage because there are alot of things calculated into it. One being the percentage of time the child is with you. You also get a hardship deduction for having another child, but so will she if she has others.

You can obtain a DissoMaster from the family law facilitators office in the court house, they are free and are programmed on their computer system. This will give you a general idea.

To tell you the truth, 400 may not be enough, but you need to get this all court ordered now, or you may be looking at a very stressfull relationship with the mom.

S

singledadinca

thanks for the responses the other mom is an addict and dissapeared out of his life about 2.5 years ago. yeah my choice in women isnt the best.lol and dissomaster i just go to the local family courthouse and ask and they will give this to me??

M

mizzz2u

singledad

I am a single mom of four. I never held the kids over him to do something. I encouraged him to see them as much as possible so they had as normal a life as possible. I even agreed to $80 for all of them so he could keep himself above board. After all, it isn't good to see the other parent on their butt either. Now that he's making it very well, I took him to child support court (he like the $80 a week thing) I don't understand how a mother can do that, try to keep the father away if they don't get their way. I'm sorry this is happening to you. We aren't all like that. Stand up for yourself. You have rights too and that is your child. If you want to be a part of his life then go for it and pat yourself on the back.
Get set visitation and set child support (it may be more than the $400/month but in the long run it will probably be cheaper for you than the ransom she is holding over you to see your son). About the child you have custody of...any possibility she has cleaned herself up and working now?
Good luck to you!! Glad to see a dad that WANTS to see his kids!

S

singledadinca

thanks for the words.she may have cleaned up by now. butt prob. not. anyway i dont like or want her bouncing in and out of my sons life so i would rather not try to get anything out of her. kinda let a sleeping dog lie :)
i dont care if the courts tell me more$$ the point is not to try to not pay more. also when we go to court if it is more can i be held liable for the money that has been paid already. or the diff. i.e. i pay 400 if judge says 600 then am i in arrears for 200 every month that i already paid. also what are the chances that the courts could give me partial custody. maybe more than a twice a month thing. is it common with toddlers to split maybe week on week off?

there are obviosly more issues at hand butt thank you for your advice. i really dont know what to expect

oh also now since he was born in orange county i have been travelling there to see him. when she moved to la i went there. now that she is in s.d. county do i know have to meet her there to pick up and drop off.or is transportation to be split? i know this sounds petty butt when you factor the little time i gett 1 hour in traffic is ALOT.and if it is 1 there and 1 back
i think you see what i am getting at

Last edited:

VeronicaGia

The state of CA takes into consideration the net income of both parents and the percentage of visitation. You need to maximize your visitation time with the child and keep a log of every minute spent with the child.

You would do well to hire an attorney to legally establish paternity with a DNA test, and file for some level of custody (even file to be the custodial parent), and child support once DNA establishes you are the father. Child support will only be ordered back to the date of filing the petition unless she is collecting welfare. You will also be ordered to carry health iand dental nsurance and pay a percentage of out of pocket costs.

Get an attorney and get it over with.

S

singledadinca

well i think she did file for welfare.so i think i am sol there. but time spent has been minimized by her. she wont let me keep him longer than 2-3 hours.I should just pick him up then return him at at the end of the weekend.butt then she probably wont lett me pick him up ever again.anyway thank you all for the help. i am just going to go get a lawyer.

nextwife

File for a vistation schedule. Overnights, even eventual alternate weeknds or every third or so. You need your own time with your child, just as she gets her own time. And not as a 2-3 hour visitor. But in your home with your children together, just as she gets to have her children together.

VeronicaGia

singledadinca said:
well i think she did file for welfare.so i think i am sol there. but time spent has been minimized by her. she wont let me keep him longer than 2-3 hours.I should just pick him up then return him at at the end of the weekend.butt then she probably wont lett me pick him up ever again.anyway thank you all for the help. i am just going to go get a lawyer.
Then you need to jump on this now before you end up owing the state of CA thousands of dollars in arrears plus interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">