• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations - South Carolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

boomersmom

What is the name of your state?I live in Ohio, but the question pertains to South Carolina.

This is related to an earlier post on the Libel/Slander/Defamation board, but these questions are regarding crimial laws.

I have a friend ("S.") whose crazy cousin ("CC") has accused him of raping her more than 20 years ago. So far, this cousin has sent letters containing these allegations to many members of their family across the country. (find more details in the Libel thread)

S. has considered suing CC for libel (probably, as IAAL suggested, in Small Claims - because she has no money, property, etc. - and S. just wants her to stop). Anyway, S. is worried that doing so might cause CC to attempt to bring criminal charges against him.

The questions:

1: What is the statute of limitations in South Carolina (where CC claims this event took place) for rape and/or statutory rape? At the time CC claims this happened, she was 15 and S. was 20.

2: What is the likelihood that, if there is no statute of limitations and CC did decide to try pressing charges, CC could find a prosecutor willing to pursue it? Both CC and S. live in Ohio.

Thanks,

Boomer's Mom

CdwJava

Regardless of the locations or SOLs, a 20 year old rape charge is going to be impossible to prosecute without some really compelling evidence or confirming statements from witnesses. I can't imagine a prosecutor even touching the case without AMPLE proof.

Carl

B

boomersmom

CdwJava said:
Regardless of the locations or SOLs, a 20 year old rape charge is going to be impossible to prosecute without some really compelling evidence or confirming statements from witnesses. I can't imagine a prosecutor even touching the case without AMPLE proof.

Carl
Carl: Thanks for your response. That's pretty much the same thing I thought, but S. is afraid of opening a whole new can of worms.

I would still be interested in learning the SOL.

Thanks,

Boomer's Mom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">