• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to a copy of my own records?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sally jane

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York.
Hello: I recently had an eye exam for new contact lenses. In the past, an optometrist would give me a copy of the precription and I would have the option of filling it there or another place. I was a little under the weather when I went and so didn't realize until I got home that I didn't have a copy of the prescription written out. I had already ordered contacts through this place. I went back the next day and asked for a copy of the presc. for my own records, and was refused. They said that it would be sent to me once the contacts were ready. When the contacts were ready, I tried again to get the presc. written out from the office there--I saw it on the sheet in front of me. But again, the people refused to give me a copy, saying it was company policy, that they are not allowed to give me that information, and that it would be mailed directly from the main office. When I said I have a right to my own medical records, the woman looked at me blankly.

I have received nothing in the mail, and meanwhile have had to go and return the unused contacts and have another trial pair because the first ones were not strong enough. This week I have a check-up and if everything is ok, they will be ordering a whole new set of this adjusted prescription. Going in, I want to be ready to do what I need to do to get the prescription written out, directly from the doctor. I think she will refuse, but I think that I have a right to have that information. I also think that they may have overcharged me for the lenses, but with no paperwork I wouldn't be able to prove anything. What should I do?

Thank you.

ellencee

sally jane
Lesson learned; don' leave without a copy of your prescription! If the company's policy is to mail a copy of the Rx from the home office, then that's their policy. Ask for a copy of your bill and see if you were correctly charged; if not, gain a corrected billing and any refund due to you.

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">