• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if he takes the truck back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Anglyn

What is the name of your state? Texas

Another question about my father in laws divorce. Thier original verbal agreement (of which there is no proof but our say so) was that if he let her take the truck that is in his name and everything else they had accumulated in 18 years of marriage (I mean, sheets, furniture, every dish in the house, all the pictures off the walls etc, she didnt leave him a roll of toliet paper) then she would not fight him over the house. The mobile home is in her name (both truck and house purchased while married so community property), the land it sits on is in her name, his name and my name (when I put $4,000 down on it I insisted my name be added to the title). Now she had the truck and everything else, including an end table that belongs to me which she basically stole while the movers were here and I wasnt looking. She has filed asking for the house and land too. Or for "everything".

My questions are: Since she went back on thier agreement and he never wanted to give up the truck, he wants it back, but my parents say if he does, it makes him look bad to the judge when we go to court. Is this true? Will taking the truck back affect his chances of being awarded the house one way or the other? Since he is the one living in the house and she left, are his odds better of getting it? She will probally claim she was "forced" out as that is what she is telling mutual friends and family (Its not true).

We all lived together for two years and my husband and I paid 90% of everything, so we basically supported her. Our initial investment is about equal to hers. (Her big complaint is wanting her downpayments back and she is basically asking for the house because I have refused to pay her a hundred dollars a week for it on top of already paying for it). I have my cancelled checks for the house payments, land payments and utilities, will that count for anything or no since the house is in her name? What are MY rights pertaining to the land? The house? And is there any way for me to get my table back since it's in her apartment now and possesion is nine tenths of the law?

One more: She denies the grounds, which all he put was incompatibility at his lawyers advice, to try and be nice and not confrontational. He could have put worse things like emotional abandonment and adultry. She has already started dating though she claims not to want the divorce. Does he have to prove grounds now that she denies them? Is incompatibility hard to prove if disputed and should he change the grounds now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">