• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Been there, done that ... what about the t-shirt ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

conm

What is the name of your state?Global

Hello and first of all thanks for taking the time to think about my question.

I own a community website, very much like this website, only that it relates to a well known holiday resort company. I used to work there a long time ago and now frequently go there on holiday (I veen met my wife there).

Over the last two years the website community has been growing steadily and so have the costs for keeping the site up and running (which I have paid for myself without any for of advertising). The name of my website is "well-known-holiday-resort-company"Planet.com. For a while now my members have been thinking of making a t-shirt for the website so that there would be a little funding for the site and also people could wear it when on holiday and thus attract even more visitors meet more people etc etc etc .

Over the last weeks, as I was wondering how to do the t-shirt thing absolutely legally, I was contacted by the HR department of the "well-known-holiday-resort-company". They asked me if I would not mind stting up a page or link to their "well-known-holiday-resort-company"-jobs.com website, which I did.... Hey we ARE good guys !!!.
I thought it would be a good opportunity to ask this HR guy if he could inquire whether it would be okay to make a t-shirt with our website's name on it. He inquired with the legal dept's director's secretary and she said 'NJET' 'NO' 'NEIN' ... not possible in any way.

Now as far as not being able to make the t-shirt is not a drama, it would have been nice... too bad. But the thing that worries me, especially after reading some posts on trademarks etc. is whether I am in danger of being sued by them or not. Should I be bold and contact their legal dept to inform them of the existence of the website, and ask them to at least give me an OK for the website ... or does anyone have any better ideas ?

Thanks for all your feedback

Michael

JETX

They can certainly ask you to remove your site and/or to assign the registration over to them.
If you refuse, then they would have the option of considering legal action or not. And if they have the funds and chose to, they can make your website presence pretty damn expensive for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">