• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions... Can I help in anyway or is it to late?

• Thread starter sisterneedshelp
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sisterneedshelp

What is the name of your state? I live in California, but this is regards to Louisiana Law that is where my sibling lives.

My question is ....... My sibling is a kind a generous person to the extent that they put their family and themselves at risk in order to help those less fortunate. We have always been given everything and when ever we need something our grandpa comes to the resue. Recently my mother and grandfather visited my sibling who lives in Louisiana. My grandfather has given several thousands of dollars to sibling for a new business which they are openning up. On one of the nights sibling went into room where my grandfather was sleeping and took his ATM/Credit card and went and withdrew money from his account. They were not doing it malliously, (I am going by what they told me). The went to the bank and withdrew money six transaction of fast withdrawal amount. Total of $1000.00 to pay for some bills since they were behind because of giving to others... They were planning on telling my grandfather but by the time they did it was to late. If they would have asked he would have given it to them. Grandfather told me this. He was just very disappointed in what transpired and is very very upset. Sibling was contacted by a detective from their police department and went down to talk to detective. Sibling said that they were read their rights and asked to give a statement as to what transpired. Sibling told the truth and answered all the detectives questions. Detective also had pictures of siblings vehicle from ATM camera. Detective told sibling that grandfather was very upset and would have given them the money if they would have asked. They were just not using their head and were worrying about their bills and the collectors that had called. Detective said that they were not charging sibling at this time and not arresting them and would let them know what would happen and that it was up to the grandfather on whether or not charges would be brought. Detective said they would let them know by next weekend. Now sibling is wondering what is going to happen as well as the rest of siblings family. Spouse is gone for work at four to six weeks at a time and they have three young children. None of our family lives out Louisiana as we all reside in California. My grandfather has not told us anything and we are concern for the sibling as well as for those children. We do not know what the law is out their. We know that is probably falls under Federal. Sibling has never been in trouble for anything before. And the sad thing is sibling lost a child six years ago to a drunk driver so this is going to effect sibling and the children dramatically as sibling and spouse and one of the children and on antidrepressant from that loss. What is going to happen next and is there anything that can be done for sibling and children. If grandfather does not go through with the charges will this be dropped? We just need some answers. Please help if you can. Thank you. :confused:

Shay-Pari'e

sisterneedshelp said:
What is the name of your state? I live in California, but this is regards to Louisiana Law that is where my sibling lives.

My question is ....... My sibling is a kind a generous person to the extent that they put their family and themselves at risk in order to help those less fortunate. We have always been given everything and when ever we need something our grandpa comes to the resue. Recently my mother and grandfather visited my sibling who lives in Louisiana. My grandfather has given several thousands of dollars to sibling for a new business which they are openning up. On one of the nights sibling went into room where my grandfather was sleeping and took his ATM/Credit card and went and withdrew money from his account. They were not doing it malliously, (I am going by what they told me). The went to the bank and withdrew money six transaction of fast withdrawal amount. Total of $1000.00 to pay for some bills since they were behind because of giving to others... They were planning on telling my grandfather but by the time they did it was to late. If they would have asked he would have given it to them. Grandfather told me this. He was just very disappointed in what transpired and is very very upset. Sibling was contacted by a detective from their police department and went down to talk to detective. Sibling said that they were read their rights and asked to give a statement as to what transpired. Sibling told the truth and answered all the detectives questions. Detective also had pictures of siblings vehicle from ATM camera. Detective told sibling that grandfather was very upset and would have given them the money if they would have asked. They were just not using their head and were worrying about their bills and the collectors that had called. Detective said that they were not charging sibling at this time and not arresting them and would let them know what would happen and that it was up to the grandfather on whether or not charges would be brought. Detective said they would let them know by next weekend. Now sibling is wondering what is going to happen as well as the rest of siblings family. Spouse is gone for work at four to six weeks at a time and they have three young children. None of our family lives out Louisiana as we all reside in California. My grandfather has not told us anything and we are concern for the sibling as well as for those children. We do not know what the law is out their. We know that is probably falls under Federal. Sibling has never been in trouble for anything before. And the sad thing is sibling lost a child six years ago to a drunk driver so this is going to effect sibling and the children dramatically as sibling and spouse and one of the children and on antidrepressant from that loss. What is going to happen next and is there anything that can be done for sibling and children. If grandfather does not go through with the charges will this be dropped? We just need some answers. Please help if you can. Thank you. :confused:

Are you for real? YOU make me ill reading your crap. That poor man.

S

sisterneedshelp

Can I help in any way or is it to late?

Yes , sad but true this is for real. My grandfather is very upset as is everyone else. It's not really about the money my grandfather said, but the fact that it was done behind his back. He would have given it to my sibling no matter what if they would have asked. As I said, were just wondering what is going to happen. My grandfather says he propably will drop the charges but we do not know yet. If he does can something still happen. HE does not want to put the children through anymore trama. He know he will get the money back. Because my sibling has always paid back what they have been given from him. This is really a big mess. The sibling is also contemplating suicide if they were to lose the children and go to jail becasue of this. I hate what this is doing to my family and to my siblings family. I just don't know what to do.

CdwJava

If it happened as you say, its not a federal offense, but it IS serious state charges ... multiple felonies.

The leeches ... er, relatives ... deserve a good rap in the head - and if it means jail time and a little respite for the kids away from this "moral" upbringing, so be it. It's likely that even if grandpa wants to drop the charges, they won't be. And if anyone in your family is encouraging him to drop the charges, then they are as bad as the ones who stole the ATM from grandpa - and I can count on another generation of job security.

Carl

S

sisterneedshelp

As for state charges I know that the law out there in Louisiana is different from the law out here in California. Do you know any thing about the laws out there in Louisiana? From what I have been told, that the law out there is based on french or something?

Thanks for all you input.

Shay-Pari'e

sisterneedshelp said:
As for state charges I know that the law out there in Louisiana is different from the law out here in California. Do you know any thing about the laws out there in Louisiana? From what I have been told, that the law out there is based on french or something?

Thanks for all you input.

Why don't you just figure it out yourself, I for one will not help you. You don't give a crap about this wonderful man, just your criminal sister.....GET REAL!

OH! And yes, Louisiana law is definitly based on French laws, so you should start with France first.

S

sisterneedshelp

I thank you all for your replies, but I do very much care for my grandfather. as well as the rest of my family. I do not approve of what my sibling did, but they are not a criminal in my book. I say ,this because every one makes mistakes and that those that have not then they should cast the first stone.The good this sibling has done over the years for others has been over whelming. Theyare very much a christian and very involved in their community and their church. I am not in any way again condoning what they did not at all. I am just trying to find an even ground of how all of the family can deal with this and some how over come this if possible. Kind of like an intervention. They do have alot of morals, they kust let a VERY bad judgement and mistake happen. As I stated before, they have never done this to my grandfather before and have never been in trouble in anyway at all. I don't think they have even had a traffic ticket before.

I don't think it calls for nasty bad mouthing. As I know Louisiana is not governed by France. I was simply stating that I know their laws are different from ours and was just wanting some information. Though I know everyone is entitled their own opinion.

Shay-Pari'e

sisterneedshelp said:
I thank you all for your replies, but I do very much care for my grandfather. as well as the rest of my family. I do not approve of what my sibling did, but they are not a criminal in my book. I say ,this because every one makes mistakes and that those that have not then they should cast the first stone.The good this sibling has done over the years for others has been over whelming. Theyare very much a christian and very involved in their community and their church. I am not in any way again condoning what they did not at all. I am just trying to find an even ground of how all of the family can deal with this and some how over come this if possible. Kind of like an intervention. They do have alot of morals, they kust let a VERY bad judgement and mistake happen. As I stated before, they have never done this to my grandfather before and have never been in trouble in anyway at all. I don't think they have even had a traffic ticket before.

I don't think it calls for nasty bad mouthing. As I know Louisiana is not governed by France. I was simply stating that I know their laws are different from ours and was just wanting some information. Though I know everyone is entitled their own opinion.

Then why isn't the church, community, or even you doing anything about her suicidal thoughts? Do her children not matter?

S

sisterneedshelp

I have been trying to talk to my sibling, letting them know that no matter what happens we will get through this as a family and that we do still love them. The community they live in and the church have no idea about any of these circumstances yet. Only our immediate family knows. ( Which is grandfather, mother, father, siblings and their spouses and the spouse of our sibling).

I do agree with you that the children are very important, that is why I am here seeking advice. I care about my sibling and their children very much and have been praying faithfully that someway I can help.

Again I thank you for all your replies.

BelizeBreeze

Gramps should file charges against this idiot. Maybe then she'll learn what Thieft means. Her losing a child, helping others and anything else in your post matters not for the law. She stole money. Period.

CdwJava

sisterneedshelp said:
I do not approve of what my sibling did, but they are not a criminal in my book.
Well, even under the 'Code Napoleon' (the foundation of French laws, and a strong influence in LA), your siblings ARE criminals. They committed theft, fraud, burglary, fraudulent use of a bank/debit card, and any number of other offenses.

sisterneedshelp said:
I say ,this because every one makes mistakes and that those that have not then they should cast the first stone.
I've made mistakes ... I accidentally turned the wrong way on a one way street ... I drank some alcohol before I was 21 ... I colored outside the lines in school ... but I NEVER committed a felony - much less MULTIPLE FELONIES!

This was hardly a "mistake".

sisterneedshelp said:
The good this sibling has done over the years for others has been over whelming. Theyare very much a christian and very involved in their community and their church.
And doing good deeds does not shield you from your current acts. And asking for fogiveness does not mean that one should be shielded from the consequences of their criminal or immoral acts.

I hope they have asked for forgiveness ... but I suspect they are justifying or rationalizing it somehow.

If it were my family members, I would be there to support them as best as possible, but I would NOT seek to have charges dropped, and I would NOT allow them to justify or rationalize their actions. If they can avoid jail time on their own - great. But I would not compromise what is right for the sake of family unity. What will all the children in this family learn of criminal acts are justified and condoned?

Let the chips fall as they will. Don't try to get too involved and compromise yourself.

Carl

S

sisterneedshelp

Thank you Carl ,for your input. I am trying not to get to emotionally involved, but being family it is quite hard. I do agree that the pieces will fall as God wants them too. I hope in the end if there should be no jail time that they will seek some kind of help. That is for there has to be a underlining problem regarding why they would let the helping of other jeapordize their own family and their own judgement. I just am trying to under stand all this. Though being thousands of miles away, my heart just goes out to the rest of that family.

Thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">