• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family court or small claims court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pbervard

What is the name of your state? Maryland
I don't know which court I should used its either going to be the family court or small claims court.
I was hleping the birth father with his back pay in child support. He owed 16,000+ in child support. He was offered a great job to work in Kuwait where the first 80,000 was tax free. The state of Maryland refused to released his passport because of his debt. He reside in NC. he went to court and asked to change the court order to say that he would be paying $350.00 a month in child support + $1000 in back arrears. he was currently ordered to pay $350 + $25 toward the back arrears. Maryland refused until he paid them $11,000 so the amount would be brought below $5000. In order for him to get this job I signed a notorized aggreement with Maryland stating that I would be receiving the 11,000 an to please credit the amount off his debt which they did.
the aggreement between the birth father and me was for his common law wife to pay me monthly payments of $1000 until the debt of 12,000 for which I signed off was paid. She had access to his bank account her name was in his savings account. what happends was when he arrived in kuwait 2 month later he left the company and started working for another. He broke up with his common law wife took her name out of his bank account. so there is no way I can get the money back. should I pursue this legal matter in the family court or small claims court. is their any way I can ask the courts to put the money back in the hand of Maryland child support. (proof of birth father and me is he signed a notorized aggreement saying he would pay me back plus I have his email stating he would pay me back)

BL

How much did you lend him ?

If it's over $5000.00 you need to go to civil court ,and most likely hire a lawyer , unless you are willing to go after him in small claims for the maximum allowed of 5 grand .

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consumerism/small_md.html

Family Court would have nothing to do with the Loan . You have an agreement with him.

Is He over there now or back in the states ?

P

pbervard

Maryland.
How much did you lend him ? I lend him 12,000
Is He over there now or back in the states ? he is still in Kuwait. but before he left he gave his common law wife power of attorney. She still has POA. but she no longer has access to his bank account because he removed her. I can used her in court as my eyewitness.

BL

I'd consult at least an attorney that deals with civil lawsuits. See what his fee would be for going after the 12 grand.

Once you have a Judgment you can take collection actions , including the bank account .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">