• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Incomes/ 2 Jobs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

monnickasmommy

What is the name of your state?az

Does anyone know of a law that passed that if a NCP has 2 jobs to support his family that child support can be used from both of them ?

Grace_Adler

As far as I know, any income you get they use to determine child support. I know they use a second job in NC to help determine it.

M

mizzz2u

It's that way in NY also. Any income brought in by the NCP will be used for child support purposes. My ex brother-in-law kept his second one secret for 2 years by not reporting it to the courts or on his taxes. Yup...they caught up with him and he had to pay it back!

nextwife

It's a real catch 22.

If the NCP cannot afford to pay his bills because of a new CS order, "we" tell them to get another job so they can. But then, if they do, the CS order will be changed to reflect a temporary, greater than 40 hour workweek and the NCP will be obligated to continue working all those extra hours indefinately.

topsidder

I got trashed on this website for saying the exact same thing nextwife.

Get a second job my a$$!

All that does is give the courts more income to seize, and when the NCP decides HE needs sleep and can no longer continue two jobs, guess what? They impute the income from the second job!

DO NOT DO IT NCP'S! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GET A SECOND JOB. THE COURTS WILL CONSIDER IT INCOME FOR LIFE AND WILL EXPECT YOU TO PAY AT THAT LEVEL. Regardless of you going in and falling asleep at the hearing. You took the second job, you best keep it! BAD DECISION. NO SECOND JOB!

nextwife

Intact families are entitled to make lifestyle CHOICES to spend more time with their family and perhaps take a somewhat less intense, more flexible job so that we are more availbale to our kids.

Sometimes the few years in our youth is our ONLY opportunity to spend time with our kids. MY dad was deceased by the time my sister was 12. Frankly, I'm happy my dad prioritized his life to be AVAILABLE to take and do with us while he could. We did ok financially, but not nearly what he could have made if he had been working all the time like some of my peer's dads. And guess what? I don't think any more money would have given me a better and happier childhood- so what if my mom bought our clothes off clearance racks instead of chasing to Chicago like some of my peer's moms? So what if I had the same old bike from childhood and then it got passed on to my sister? So what if I could not afford to be in ski club like some classmates were? So what.... if I learned that my parent's put TIME with us doing things as a greater priority than money and stuff??

My point? Children are not necessarilly gaining the most by overemphasizing the maximum monetary cash flow as the ultimate "best interest" of the child. A nice life can be achieved even if we don't make every dollar we maybe could. Thank goodness my household has that choice, because we are together.

After a certain level is achieved, one should be able to ease off and enjoy their children and time together! After all, isn't that WHY we become parents? It's why I did, there was no point in jumping through all those hoops to have her if we weren't going to be around for her.

Grace_Adler

Amen.

A child needs to be supported for their necessities but money can't replace a parent being around and you can't put a monetary value on a parent/child relationship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">