• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underage drinking--help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yentruoc1505

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

A few days ago I was given a citation for underage drinking. What happened was my friend and I were sitting in his car talking when a police officer pulled up behind us. He asked my friend to get out of the car and then he searched the car. There was beer in the back and he told my friend to open up all of the cans and spill all of the beer out. He came to the car and asked me for my phone number but at the time I was on my cell phone acting like I was talking to my mom. Wrong decision, I know but I was so afraid of what was going to happen that I didn't know what else to do. The officer ended up calling my mom anyway and when she arrived I started to make a fuss. The officer let my friend go but said I was being charge for the way I was acting. Yes, I had acted out of line towards him and I know I was in the wrong, but is that enough grounds to charge me for posession just for acting that way. He let my friend go because he acted 'calm'. He didn't test for my blood alcohol level either. What I'm wondering about now though is that on my citation, the amount of the fine isn't written in, so if I plead guilty or not guilty, either way I have to go in front of the magistrate. Would it be wise to plead not guilty and try to explain myself, or should I plead guilty in hopes that maybe the magistrate will let me go? Please help

HomeGuru

yentruoc1505 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

A few days ago I was given a citation for underage drinking. What happened was my friend and I were sitting in his car talking when a police officer pulled up behind us. He asked my friend to get out of the car and then he searched the car. There was beer in the back and he told my friend to open up all of the cans and spill all of the beer out. He came to the car and asked me for my phone number but at the time I was on my cell phone acting like I was talking to my mom. Wrong decision, I know but I was so afraid of what was going to happen that I didn't know what else to do. The officer ended up calling my mom anyway and when she arrived I started to make a fuss. The officer let my friend go but said I was being charge for the way I was acting. Yes, I had acted out of line towards him and I know I was in the wrong, but is that enough grounds to charge me for posession just for acting that way. He let my friend go because he acted 'calm'. He didn't test for my blood alcohol level either. What I'm wondering about now though is that on my citation, the amount of the fine isn't written in, so if I plead guilty or not guilty, either way I have to go in front of the magistrate. Would it be wise to plead not guilty and try to explain myself, or should I plead guilty in hopes that maybe the magistrate will let me go? Please help
**A: now do realize the value of a good education?

Y

yentruoc1505

yes i understand the value of a good education but schools don't teach kids how to avoid these kinds of situations and sometimes parents aren't there to always be a good guidance. Yes schools have motivational speakers come in but most of the time they don't get through half of the students which obviously includes me. what I'm asking now is how to get out of this situation and continue to persue my education without knowing that I have this on my record. I'm stuck in a bind and I just need some support from an outside source but nevermind.

Bravo8

Sure it's enough to charge you.....you and your friend both possessed the alcohol. The officer has the discretion to charge or not to charge a person with the violation. The biggest lesson you should learn from this is that attitude goes a long way. Had you not acted in such a poor manner, you probably wouldn't have to ask these questions.....

The fine isn't written on the citation b/c the law provides for a "sliding fine". It can be $1 to $300 plus costs and/or 90 days in jail. The judge determines the penalties.

Ummonx

I wouldn't worry about it much even if you get charged. I got nailed in that **** state 10 years ago. got to ride in the paddy wagon whoot!! I think it was a $80 fine and 1 day of classes where they show you dwi films.

its actually quite funny now.
good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">