• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad in contempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

starly33

What is the name of your state?Ca
My ex wanted to pay less child support, so it was ordered he spend 35% with the kids & his support was lowered. That was 1 yr. ago, he has not complied at all with the visitation schedule. This past year they have spent a night here or there with him at his convenience. Can he be held in Contempt? Also he is Physically & Verbally abusive with them. He never leaves marks on them. But they have come home and told me & I have also witnessed it myself. Their ages are 11 & 9 and they both have told me they don't want to go with him anymore. They have said they want to talk to the judge about how he is acts with them. Will a judge listen to what they say? I recently lost my job & collecting Unemployment. I am struggling financially and I want to know if it is possible to get an Emergency hearing for Child Support increase. We stand the chance of losing our home if I don't get some help now. I have asked him to help with Utilities & groceries and he has agreed, then tells me later on that he is not going to pay my bills and I need to figure it out on my own. He says it is not his responsibilty and he then refuses to help me. Can I do anything about this?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

starly33 said:
What is the name of your state?Ca
My ex wanted to pay less child support, so it was ordered he spend 35% with the kids & his support was lowered. That was 1 yr. ago, he has not complied at all with the visitation schedule. This past year they have spent a night here or there with him at his convenience. Can he be held in Contempt? Also he is Physically & Verbally abusive with them. He never leaves marks on them. But they have come home and told me & I have also witnessed it myself. Their ages are 11 & 9 and they both have told me they don't want to go with him anymore. They have said they want to talk to the judge about how he is acts with them. Will a judge listen to what they say? I recently lost my job & collecting Unemployment. I am struggling financially and I want to know if it is possible to get an Emergency hearing for Child Support increase. We stand the chance of losing our home if I don't get some help now. I have asked him to help with Utilities & groceries and he has agreed, then tells me later on that he is not going to pay my bills and I need to figure it out on my own. He says it is not his responsibilty and he then refuses to help me. Can I do anything about this?

My response:

With the exception of your last item concerning your bills, you have very good reasons for going back into court now. He's right about your bills, though. A judge will listen to the kids - - if it's your desire to put them through the ringer in a courtroom setting.

So, set up your Ex-Parte hearing.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">